Logo

Bravo one speedo tube problem.

Kennyb

I have a 15 year old bravo one with a tube speedo pickup. The water inlet pickup is right in the center of the lower drive unit. The outlet is a bout 4 inches away at the top of the lower unit. A 1/4 inch tube connects and runs to the speedo in the dash. The speedo and the tube are all clear. I blew air through them and the speedo works and the tube is fine. When I try to blow aide through the drive, it does not come out the top of the drive unit. When I reverse the air flow, it does not come out of the inlet. Any suggestions on how to fix it????????Thanks.

Had this problem on my Bravo 1, (a couple of times) too. Took a small drill bit, the size of the hole on the leading edge of the lower unit, and using finger power only (no drill motor), reamed it out with the drill bit. A blob of dried out mud/silt came out of the hole. I then blasted some water through till clear.. Very common problem and an easy 5 minute fix.

Mud / silt gets packed in there because there is no actual water flow through the speedometer line to keep things flowing clean. Just packs in and builds up and hardens over time, plugging it up. Now I disconnect the rubber hose fitting on regular occasion and flush it out with water (yearly when I remove the drive and store on the stand, in garage, for the winter) and has been OK ever since. Just part of my annual winter layup process, now.

Last edited:
Back