Logo

Brass Fittings?

Masterbcobb

Connected 270 Crusader engine to hot water heater. On the engine I used standard galvanize plumming fittings. Now I see Crusader Manual says to only use brass fittings. Why?

Thanks for the answer. I would never use pvc. And as the same coolent runs through the cast iron engine block I would not think rust would be an issue.

They don't have the lifespan of the brass fittings, especially around salt water...they will work fine, just not for a long time.

Connected 270 Crusader engine to hot water heater. On the engine I used standard galvanize plumming fittings. Now I see Crusader Manual says to only use brass fittings. Why?
I agree with the others. Even if this is a Closed Cooling system, you may still see a bit of rust between the steel fittings and cast iron parts.
With Bronze, neither the threaded area nor the interior will rust.

Thanks for the answer. I would never use pvc. And as the same coolent runs through the cast iron engine block I would not think rust would be an issue.
You say "coolant". Is this coolant as in Ethylene Glycol, or as in sea water coolant????
If E/G coolant, you would stand a better chance of steel fittings lasting... but I'd still go with Bronze.

Whether a Cabin heater or a water heater, your supply will be from a port just upstream of the thermostat.... usually in the intake manifold for V-8 engines
The Engine Circulating pump is trying to force coolant in to the engine block.
The thermostat is holding this coolant back.... so there is our mild pressure.

We want our return to be in a port on the suction side of the Engine Circulating pump.

When the coolant loop is completed (to WH or CH and back), this gives us a balanced system.

I'm only mentioning this because of how many systems I've seen whereby the Heat Exchanger was used for a supply or even a return connection, and/or they connected the supply after (down stream of) the thermostat.

We need the mild pressure as a supply, and we need the mild negative pressure at the Circ pump for a return.
They just don't work otherwise.... unless we use what they call a 12 volt Puppy Pump, but that's silly.

Last edited:
Back