Logo

Boat Virgin needs your advice

topjimmie

I am looking at purchasing my 1st ever boat. I've got one spotted that I like only I don't know a good outboard from another. I found a '93 Crestliner Phantom 19.5' that has the same year Johnson 120 Outboard Model J120TLARC. I can't find it in the NADA listing and I don't know if that is accurate anyway, everything I've looked at is always much more than NADA. The owner says it runs fine, he services it regularly and it is stored inside. The boat itself is in great condition so is $7,700.00 a decent deal or not? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks Topjimmie

20 year old motor...i would insist the motor be checked out by service shop of my choice...preferably a evinrude dealer..paying for a couple hours labor(split the cost with the seller) may save you a ton of grief later on..the price is strictly up to you and how bad you want this particular boat...that is basicly a good motor but a lot can happen in 20 years....get it checked out...especially if you dont know outboards...

Do it yourself. All you need is a compression gage. Shops run $100 per hour, more or less. Most have a minimum. But don't you dare consider a compression test to be a comprehensive survey.

I had a friend suggest to me that I should have a new water pump installed no matter what if I bought an older outboard. Any thoughts on that?

true...and lower unit oil changed...and spark test...and compression test as kimcrwbr1 mentioned...and possible carb rebuild if motor has been setting...shape of gas lines ..old gas in tank?...and other things...its a pay me now or pay me later with a used rig if you have no experience...i have been a heavy boat user for over 60 years and been there and done that....spend the two hours labor cost and get it checked out...what kind of shape are the tires on the trailer in?spare?wheel bearings?...why is the person selling the boat?i am sorry if i sound like an ass but i am just trying to save you some grief...and possibly keep you from making a bad purchase...find a mechanic with a good rep thats been in business a while...talk to him and be up front about how much you know etc and arrange to bring the rig in...he wont rob you...he knows he is looking at future business...

Thanks guys, every little bit helps. I know cars to an extent and farm equipment (at least from the 90's and before) but nothing about boats other than they belong on top of the water.

Back