Logo

Boat starts when cold won't when it's been run

KapnK

I have an '02 5.0 L Mercruiser engine, carb. Not EFI. It will start right up when engine is cold but after running for awhile it will crank, almost seem to start, spit or kinda backfire but won't quite crank. Had to get Sea Towed last outing....OUCH!! My guess is the ignition coil is going bad, works cold but not when hot or maybe the sensor in the Thunderbolt V distributor. You thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Kevin

Ayuh,.... Do you use the throttle only, or are ya just leavin' it at idle to restart,..??

Btw,... I doubt it's the Coil,...

Ayuh,.... Do you use the throttle only, or are ya just leavin' it at idle to restart,..??
Btw,... I doubt it's the Coil,...

oh yes use the hell out of throttle and without. When using the throttle that is when it almost wants to fire off and at times (hard to describe) makes a kind of mini backfire or you might call it a fart. Thanks for replying....KapnK

oh yes use the hell out of throttle and without. When using the throttle that is when it almost wants to fire off and at times (hard to describe) makes a kind of mini backfire or you might call it a fart. Thanks for replying....KapnK​

Ayuh,.... Sounds like a Carb problem,.... Rebuild it,...​

I had the same issue, carb was flooding as it needed a rebuild. If you can check one of the spark plugs and see if it's fowled. The fact that your boat is an 02 makes me think the carb should be fine unless you let gas go bad in it and now it's gummed up. Just for sh*ts and giggles why not try Seafoam first and see if that fixes the problem. Run the Seafoam directly into the carb then let it sit for 10-20 mins then try starting the engine. It'll run real rough for a minute or two with lots of smoke but this is normal then it'll smoothin out.

Back