Logo

Boat Listing issue

Have a Robalo R225 boat with a Honda 225 outboard. The issue I am having is that when I run on plain I have to use full trim to keep it from listing to the port side. Not just a little bit but a lot of lean to the port. At full trim, it still wants to lean to the port to the point that if their are waves of any sizes coming in from the side while we are cruising, I have to back off of on the throttle to keep us somewhat stable. I do have a a 15 hp kicker on the port side of the boat. My question is, would it help to change out the lower unit on the 225 so that instead of a standard rotation ( clockwise when looking at it from the back) to a counter clockwise rotation? Would that help level the boat more toward the starboard when running as to eliminate the need for full trim and give the boat a more stable ride?

Hi. Not an expert in the Honda engines or anything but this is usually an issue with trim. Either the engine is trimmed in too much or the tab on the keg is not set right. This forces the bow down and leads to instability. Don't use the tabs to compensate

Thanks for your response. Yes. The boat sits perfectly level while at the marina. It doesn’t start listing badly until your at cruise. Everything in the boat seems to be centered. ie batteries, fuel, etc. I have had the boat 4 yrs and it has always been an issue.

Have a Robalo R225 boat with a Honda 225 outboard. The issue I am having is that when I run on plain I have to use full trim to keep it from listing to the port side. Not just a little bit but a lot of lean to the port. At full trim, it still wants to lean to the port to the point that if their are waves of any sizes coming in from the side while we are cruising, I have to back off of on the throttle to keep us somewhat stable. I do have a a 15 hp kicker on the port side of the boat. My question is, would it help to change out the lower unit on the 225 so that instead of a standard rotation ( clockwise when looking at it from the back) to a counter clockwise rotation? Would that help level the boat more toward the starboard when running as to eliminate the need for full trim and give the boat a more stable ride?

A 15 hp kicker is a lot of weight on the stern corner of a 22 footer. I would remove the kicker and see if the list goes away.

Back