Logo

Boat Engineer

Hockey5

Hello, I am in high school, live in New Hampshire and am passionate about boat engines.
I have taken Automotive 1 and 2 at my school, plus I'm taking a Marine Technology Independent Study where I intern at a busy marine business twice a week.
I'm also in honors math and science classes: Physics, Chemistry, Calculus.

Is there a college where I could prepare to be an boat engineer? I've applied to maritime academies as well as automotive engineering universities in Michigan.

Where do engineers from Evinrude, etc go to college and what degree do they get?

Thank you for any help.

Maybe try to get more hours at the marine business while attending a mechanical technology two year college part time. I retired as an Aerospace Engineer. Started as a high school graduate, worked full time and got a two year degree part time. Worked myself into an engineering position and did well. Also consider gaining some business experience.

If my answers can be in any way still useful for you, I will have smth to suggest since now I am dealing with this problem and I am actual with everything on it.

Great to hear about your passion for boat engines! You might want to consider pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Marine Technology. There are several colleges and universities that offer this program, such as the United States Merchant Marine Academy, the Maine Maritime Academy, and the Florida Institute of Technology.

As for engineers at companies like Evinrude, they typically have degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related fields. Some may have also completed specialized training or certification programs in Marine Technology or related areas.

It's great that you have already applied to maritime academies and automotive engineering universities. Keep researching and exploring different options to find the program that best fits your goals and interests. Good luck!

I’d bet the navy would give you a good education on all things related to marine engines. Perhaps a bit drastic but I do know that mechanics that are trained by the Canadian Armed Forces have employers tripping over each other to hire ex military personnel.

I think the best option is to get a degree in Engineering in a place that is more accessible to you and enroll in additional classes or courses on Boat Engineer. As an option is to get a part-time job in a workshop and on practice to learn the necessary knowledge.

If my answers can be in any way still useful for you, I will have smth to suggest since now I am dealing with this problem and I am actual with everything on it. Great to hear about your passion for boat engines! You might want to consider pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Marine Technology. There are several colleges and universities that offer this program, such as the United States Merchant Marine Academy, the Maine Maritime Academy, and the Florida Institute of Technology. As for engineers at companies like Evinrude, they typically have degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related fields. I am getting math help and answers on https://plainmath.net/ for studying in Marine Technology or related areas. It's great that you have already applied to maritime academies and automotive engineering universities. Keep researching and exploring different options to find the program that best fits your goals and interests. Good luck!
Your thoughtful response has such helpful information. I am considering pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering focusing on Marine Technology. I will be sure to look into the schools you mentioned, including the United States Merchant Marine Academy, the Maine Maritime Academy, and the Florida Institute of Technology. I am also aware that engineers at companies like Evinrude typically have degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related fields, so I will keep that in mind as I research different programs and schools. I am grateful for your encouragement to keep exploring my options and to find the program that best fits my goals and interests. I will take your advice and continue my research with renewed motivation. Thank you again for your helpful response!

Back