Logo

Block Repair

KCJ

Contributing Member
Hi! I am new to this forum but have been watching from time to time. I got an Evinrude 225 VRO which I am uncertain of the year, the engine had been repainted at some time and the tag is missing. Is the ID number located on the block some where else, it is gone from the mounting bracket where it should be. However, the engine was used in salt water and not properly flushed. The port head was off the engine when I got it, and the aluminum has erroded away in some places to the cylinder sleeve. I looked at the head gasket, which was laying in the bilge with the head, and could not see any obvious "blow-by" signs. Can this be fixed? Can you get a seal just by resting the gasket on the cylinder sleeve with no support from the water jacket?

Thanks for your help!

You will get many opinions on the problem.---------------My self I would set it up and machine away more of the aluminum to " clean it up " then machine an aluminum ring and shrink fit it on.---------------May be cost prohibitive if you have a shop do this custom machining.

Racerone....Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for a JB Weld fix(lol) but I didn't think I would be that lucky. I am sure your recommendation would work, but as you pointed out, it would be "cost prohibitive" for me. It's ashame that simple flushing of this engine could have prevented this problem, jsut stupid! On the bright side though, I have lots of good 225 VOR parts! What year did Evinude paint their engines in a dark blue/gray color? I think this is an 86 but not sure.

Thanks, KCJ

Back