Logo

Block compatibility?

NitroUnknown

Hello All, I hope everyone's doing great!

I'm new to the community/forum, I apologize in advance if this has been previously covered, or addressed. It's only since some preliminary searching came up empty that I'm asking.

Please forgive me if my question is dumb...

As a result of COVID-19, and the restrictions towards the beginning, it killed business on a massive scale in my industry, and at the end of March, I was laid off from my job. 6 months later, I'm still unemployed, so money's tight to say the least, (that's putting it lightly)...

I've just recently bought a used boat for $1500, it's a 2000 ProCraft 190 SuperPro, with a 2000 Mercury 150 Optimax. The previous owner said that "out of the blue", the lower unit croaked, the driveshaft to crankshaft splines stripped, or spun, and the end of the driveshaft does look some kind of bad!

But the motor starts up right away, sounds great, just no lower unit now.

A friend of mine has a 1999 Mariner 150 Magnum III that crapped out, the dealer said the block, and 1 cylinder is bad, everything else is in good shape. My question is, can I put my 2000 Mercury 150 Optimax block in a 1999 Mariner 150 Magnum III?

The shorter way of asking, is the 2000 Mercury 150 Optimax, and 1999 Mariner 150 Magnum III blocks interchangeable? (quietly praying, "please say yes, please say yes, please say yes")

Sorry for the long winded post, just want to try and word it correctly.

I've grown up turning wrenches, the mechanical aspect I'm comfortable with, just not sure if the blocks are compatible, and I'm praying, praying, and then praying some more that they are interchangeable.

Any help, advice, and/answers are GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you,
-Nitro

...or, can someone point me in the right direction where I can find out if a 2000 Mercury 150 Optimax block will work in a 1999 Mariner 150 Magnum III?

Thank you,
-Nitro

Thank you so much! I was just about to pull the trigger on buying this Mariner, having it shipped from Wisconsin, would've been a grand down the drain.

Awesome! Thank you for your time, and input, I really appreciate it. ����

Is it because the Mercury is a DFI motor, and the Mariner is an EFI motor that the crankshafts are different?
If I had a Mercury 150 EFI engine block, would the Mariner 150 Magnum III crankshaft fit in the Mercury 150 EFI motor?
Also, would a Mercury 150 EFI engine block fit, and work in the Mariner?

I know Mercury's and Mariner's are the same (for the most part), but there are some exceptions to the case, that's the main reason I created the thread, because I'm not familiar with the fitment between the motor's.
There's several things the Mariner 150 Magnum III will bring to the table, that's why I'm trying so hard to figure out how to get the Mariner block situation fixed.

Is it because the Mercury is a DFI motor, and the Mariner is an EFI motor that the crankshafts are different?
Yes..
If I had a Mercury 150 EFI engine block, would the Mariner 150 Magnum III crankshaft fit in the Mercury 150 EFI motor?
Yes but you might have to change rod bearings depending on rod casting number
There is really no that much interchangeable except trim and lower unit

Back