Logo

BF8A oil issues

The Teach

New to me 2006 BF8A acquired a month ago. Drained and replaced oil for first time in ??? When draining, noticed "clumpy" grey chunks and grey swirls in oil. Changed oil and ran for a bit to get temp up... drained again. Cleaner. Ran and drained a third time. Level is good and color on dipstick is good...

Problem: Had dim/intermittent green oil light. Could barely see it in the daylight, flickered at night. After change, nothing now. Concerned. Where do I go to start my quest for the elusive green light again?

Can I check the light its self with a 12v contact from battery? Check Oil pressure sensor? How? Get to oil screen... how? (big job?)

Had recommendation of running diesel thru it for a very brief run then draining... nervous.

Any help would be appreciated

You have to remove the powerhead to get to the strainer.

Since the oil had junk in it, pull the oil pressure switch and clean it off. Also, clean out the hole that it goes in. Then see if there is any improvement.

You can also ground the wire going to the oil pressure switch and see if the light lights up as the motor is running. That will point to a potential oil pressure problem if you have already cleaned the oil pressure switch and if the light is not burning steady.

The light is a neon bulb and runs off of the A/C voltage coming from under the flywheel. All you can do is test for the voltage from the flywheel and check the continuity of the ground coming from the oil pressure switch. If all that is good, then the bulb is bad.

Diesel fuel is ok if there is water in the system, but I do not know if it will fix any clumps.

If none of that works, then screw an oil pressure gauge (everyone has one) into the oil pressure switch hole to see if there is really oil pressure.

In the end, you may have to pull the powerhead to clean out the sump.

Mike

I'm not sure $34 for that little bulb is such a "good deal" or is that what you meant Mike??

;>{)
Once again,
Couldn't stop
Myself
;~)

He got wires with the bulb too! It is a special bulb....neon. You know, there was probably an EPA surcharge on it. LOL

What I mean't was that it was a good deal that he got it fixed...and it was a simple fix.

Mike

Back