Logo

BF60A water in oil

Denis S

Hi all, I have a bf60a with water in the oil. By reading through previous threads it would
appear this is a problem with this model. I have dismantled the motor & can't find any
obvious point the water is getting in. As I have to rebuild the motor I would like to be sure
it doesn't do it again. Can anyone tell me if there is any particular place the water enters.

Honda put it down to a leaking oil pan gasket. Their fix is different upgrade bolts torqued to spec. Yes it was a common problem but seems to have now been fixed.

Привет всем, у меня bf60a с водой в масле. Прочитав предыдущие темы, было бы
Судя по всему, это проблема этой модели. Я разобрал мотор и ничего не нашел.
очевидный момент, что вода попадает. Поскольку мне придется ремонтировать двигатель, я хотел бы быть уверенным.
оно больше этого не делает. Может кто-нибудь сказать мне, есть ли какое-то конкретное место, куда попадает вода.
Hello, please tell me, were you able to find the reason for water getting into the oil? I have the same motor and the same problem. I can't find the reason. Thank you

I have repaired lots of these, yes.You need to check your oil pump, they usually fail with water abd if it has, full rebuild is recommended.

Hello, please tell me, were you able to find the reason for water getting into the oil? I have the same motor and the same problem. I can't find the reason. Thank you
Hi. still waiting for parts. Ian replied saying Honda fix is new oil pan gasket & extra torque on bolts.
I 'm of the opinion the water is being sucked into the oil pump through the oil seal. My reason for this theory is
the BF50 s don't seem to have this problem & they have more area between the oil pan & water compartment.
The main difference is the oil pump is on the crankshaft & not the camshaft, so to me that points to where the problem
is occurring .I feel the water is being forced into the driveshaft section through the gearshaft hole in the leg
& forced past the water seals on the driveshaft , due to suction created by the oil pump at high speeds.
Honda manual states the water seals to face back to back.(I will be facing both lips down to try to stop water entering.
The reason I'm sceptical of the gasket causing the problem is 5 local pro fisherman purchased Bf60 s around 2000
& all have failed with water in oil ,& have been repaired by Honda dealers with Honda's Fix & at least 3 of them
have failed again. one of them has failed for the third time. The owner of that one has thrown it in the shed
& put his old BF50 back on to keep working.

Your theory is interesting mate. My answer is based on Honda Japan's investigation into this. I have to say though, I have rebuilt about 10 of these motors with this problem and none have failed a second time. The only thing I did differently to Honda's instruction was to put sealant on the oil pan gasket around the water passages.What seals are you placing differently?

Just had another thought on this. If water is being pulled up the shaft and into the oil pump, then perhaps a slinger as Mercury use on the top of their water pumps would be a fix, this would stop the excessive leakage from the water pump from running up the shaft.Thoughts?

Just had another thought on this. If water is being pulled up the shaft and into the oil pump, then perhaps a slinger as Mercury use on the top of their water pumps would be a fix, this would stop the excessive leakage from the water pump from running up the shaft.Thoughts?
Yes Ian a slinger would most certainly help ,but I also think a lot of water is forced through the gear shaft hole due to
the extra long scoop in front of the shaft on these motors.. The seals I was referring to are the two water seals in the mounting case
directly under the oil pump. The 5 motors that have problems are used in the crabbing fishery & no doubt being driven to maximum
capacity. The motor I bought was one of the 5 after it had failed the second time & had previously been repaired by
a Honda dealer that had put sealant on the gasket , but still failed. The motor had a damaged crankshaft ,so as an experiment
I cut the bottom off & put the drive in the oil pump & spun it with a drill ,with the oil seal just touching water in a dish,
& it definitely sucked water into the pump.

This is very useful info, interesting. I did think Honda were just grasping at straws making us use Upgraded sump bolts and increasing the torque, I did mention to them repeatedly that if it was from the sump mating surface with the mount case that there would be clear evidence.

This is very useful info, interesting. I did think Honda were just grasping at straws making us use Upgraded sump bolts and increasing the torque, I did mention to them repeatedly that if it was from the sump mating surface with the mount case that there would be clear evidence.
Yes I searched the gasket & mating surfaces with a magnifying glass & there was no evidence of leakage.
The thing I did notice was the oil pump seal was very loose on the crankshaft , you could actually see daylight between them.
As you said the oil pump always needs replacing , so maybe the new seal in the pump is what is actually fixing the problem.
What are your thoughts on facing the lips of both water seals down ,instead of back to back as the manual reads.

I see no reason why you can't have both lips facing out, there 's no fluid between them and the oil pump. Looks like you're really onto something, good job, it all makes sense now, **** design on Handa's part

Твоя теория интересна, приятель. Мой ответ основан на расследовании этого вопроса, проведенном Honda Japan. Однако я должен сказать, что я восстановил около 10 таких двигателей с этой проблемой, и ни один из них не вышел из строя во второй раз. Единственное, что я сделал не так, как указано в инструкции Хонды, это нанес герметик на прокладку масляного поддона вокруг водяных каналов. Какие уплотнители вы ставите по-другому?

Your theory is interesting mate. My answer is based on Honda Japan's investigation into this. I have to say though, I have rebuilt about 10 of these motors with this problem and none have failed a second time. The only thing I did differently to Honda's instruction was to put sealant on the oil pan gasket around the water passages.What seals are you placing differently?
Hello, have you changed the oil pump every time?

Now I'm assembling the engine, I just put a new gasket on the sealant and tightened it well. At the moment there are several questions for the final assembly, maybe someone has a service manual for this motor. Please share, I will be very grateful and then tomorrow I will be able to launch it and check everything. Thank you in advance

Back