Logo

BF60 or 50??

Mako236@WYC

I'm planning to re-power 20 foot Downeast CC skiff with either a BF60 or BF50. It currently runs a 1998 BF40, which powers her adequately. I am familiar with the stats of both motors (including the weight difference).

I would really appreciate thoughts from anyone that has experience with both. It looks like the 60 is more "modern" in terms of overall design, which may be good or not? Are there any downsides or upsides with the 60?

Thanks very much!

I don't have any 60hp experience, so I can't help you there. Just a thought on "modern", from somebody that spends a lot of time working on these Honda 40-90hp motors exclusively. Everyone loves the fuel injected motors, which really do work great - until they don't. Even then they're generally easy to repair - until they aren't. Those can be a nightmare. An expensive nightmare.....

My favorite, for they're absolute simplicity, are the carbed motors. There are no nightmares when it comes to those. My point is, when it comes to modern, be careful what you wish for, especially if your intention is to do most of the work on it yourself......

As someone on here has said before, the 60hp does not appear to share many parts with other Honda engines where the 50hp does and there are lots around so parts may be easier to obtain.

Back