Logo

BF50 top engine mounts

aliboy

Advanced Contributor
I need to replace the broken top engine mount rubbers on one of our BF50's. They are the ones that connect the engine to the top of the swivel tube. Has anyone ever done this job? Not sure if it is a full engine disassembly or if they can be replaced more simply. Also going to need the parts if anyone has any suggestions.

I have never done it, but from the looks of the manual, it looks like once you remove the engine from the swivel by removing lower mounts (bolts #29) http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2004/BF50A4 LRTA/EXTENSION CASE/parts.html and nuts (#19) from the upper http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2004/BF50A4 LRTA/SWIVEL CASE/parts.html

The whole engine should be free from the swivel.

Then should just have to remove part #6 that holds the upper mount bolts in. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2004/BF50A4 LRTA/SWIVEL CASE/parts.html

That is my best guess. I do not have one here, right now, to look at to see if I missed anything.

Mike

Thanks for that Hd. That is pretty much what I expected but my usual Honda expert said that he thought it would require a full strip down to get at the mid section end of the mounts. The boat lives on the water and getting it out can be an issue so I am going to rig a temporary gantry to the boat so I can take the engine away from the swivel case and see if the mounts come out. I have already undone the (usual) rusty nut on one of the mounts and the 4 x 10mm bolts in the mount holder so in theory it should just slide out once I get the engine back from the mount far enough. I will let you know how I get on.

Well, sort of did the job yesterday in time for the boat to go out at 11am. Made up an 'over the railing' hoist system to take the weight, then undid the top mounts and removed the bottom mounts and lower unit the night before. Yesterday morning I first broke the little earth strap trying to lift the engine because I didn't see it in time. More attention needed. Pulled the engine back enough to remove the top mount bolts and mount holders. Rubbers were virtually totally gone, and our local Honda who previously said they had the parts, didn't actually have them. Went all 'McGyver' (or number 8 wire in Kiwi parlance) and manufactured some modified rubbers and mount system. Put it all back together and then spend an hour or more trying to get that damn stupid BF50 gear shift link back together after refitting the lower unit. Lost my carefully modified 12mm spanned that I made just for this job into the water as well. Damn!!! Finally got it done just as the first guests arrived at 10:45. I think my new mounts might actually be tougher than the original Honda ones, but will now order the real ones from Honda (2 week lead time) and do it all again when they arrive. Going to check out the option of maybe removing the engine and swivel tube next time. May not be much harder and would like to take the opportunity to tidy up the rust and repaint the swivel tube if I can.

Back