Logo

BF5 Throttle/gear linkage help

Anthonyexeter

Hi, just took the powerhead off to replace a corroded manifold, all gone ok until I tried to replace the throttle/gear column part with the spring on top. I've got the workshop manual but it's no help at all.
Can anyone with a BF5 take a few close up pics of the spring and column for me to see how and where it clips on.

Thanks.

Hi,
Not sure if this will be of help but just tossing it out there.
Good luck.

similar to the workshop manual. shows the parts but not how they go together properly. Theres no obvious way the spring or little black bit fits. It's only the mechanism to stop it starting in gear so not critical but would be nice to get it back on.

I've been stuck with stuff like this too and I realize it's frustrating so please believe me that I'm just trying to help and not being a smart a$$. Hopefully, someone WILL come through with a photo for you but, in the meantime, you have to work with what you got.
Plus, conversing about it keeps your post on top so people will notice it easier.

Every item has a number. Which one is the "little black bit" you described? Or, is it not in the illustration?

The one spring end has to engage (hook over)the pawl lever arm on one side and the other spring end engages the bracket. Yes, I know it's probably obvious but had to say it anyway.

You will need to do some trial and error "sleuthing" to sort out how that spring holds the pawl arm to engage the pull starter anytime the shifter is in gear. If you keep playing with it I bet you can figure it out.

yeah, it's the pawl arm I was talking about. Just cant seem to work out how the spring clips on the pawl, nothing lines up, It's as if the spring arm is too long. Well, the spring and pawl are sat on the shelf at the moment, hopefully work out how to fit it sometime before I sell the engine. Looking to buy a new tohatsu sometime soon.

Well, all I can tell you is that those parts diagrams are usually accurate about the way that items "stack" together.

The only thing I can say about the arms is that, if the arm terminates vertically when the spring is in position then it should contact a horizontal surface. An end that terminates horizontally would contact a vertical surface and, in this case, that is likely the brackets upright edge.
You have to keep in mind that the spring might not seem to be positioned right unless it's under tension.
Not much, I know, but it's all I got. I found a few photos on ebay of that shaft and lever assembly but they were all disassembled probably just as yours is.
Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Good luck.

Thanks. Not really a huge issue for my needs as it's only there to stop it starting in gear, which for a pull start 5hp isn't really a problem. Theres a good chance it'll never go back on and become a permanent thing I move from shelf to shelf promising myself I'll fit it.

Ha-ha,
Yeah, that sounds like something I might do.
I don't like those neutral start pawl set ups because, if you forget and pull hard, it hurts and you could even break it if you're a big boy.
It would drive me nutz though thinking about it being "left undone".
Hopefully you find a way.

It'll bug me for a while. But probably not enough to do anything about it now. I'll put them in an envelope for the next owner. Just realised my phone and laptop have different profiles. Must have forgotten about a saved password in Chrome.

Back