Logo

BF45A engine oil drain plug permanently stuck

fourtrax57

Plug is totally non removeable. Head is rounded off. no room for a twist socket. flat end wrench 18mm 6 point does not grab it (too rounded). Looking for other ways to remove most engine oil. Can it be pumped out via dip stick, oil filter hole, or fill hole? Drain plug removal is d.o.a.

Hang engine upside down & drain it??

I don't know but yes, you might be able to pump it out...most of it anyway, via the dipstick tube.

Or, if there's room, you maybe could drill through the center of the head of the drain plug and then tap 1/8" pipe thread.

Use a brass pipe plug if you do that. Brass plug will always be easy to remove afterwards even if accidentally rounded off.

Just a couple of ways of skinning that cat.

Good luck

Got a picture of the bolt head to show how much room you have? I use easy out screw extractors frequently along with the careful use of a propane torch if needed. Or a bolt extractor socket if you have the room.

NSDON has a good idea there. Although I've never tried one, induction heaters have a good reputation for dealing with stuff like this and they're not all that expensive on Amazon or ebay.

Not sure I would use flame for this though. Pretty risky in my opinion.

I would resort to a hammer punch / chisel if there is room.---Shock might bust it loose.-----Crude I know but you have to try something.

Back