Logo

BF25A not overheating but no power

jvwalzak

Hi all, my 1994 BF25A recently had 2 carbs rebuilt and was shown to have good compression. It's on a new to me 14' Carolina Skiff. It ran OK but wasn't peeing until I got it home to flush the engine and unclogged the hole. After that it seems to run smoother at idle and is peeing. Could the clogged hole have been the reason for the low power? Maybe something to do with the Motor Protection System the manual talks about? Thanks for your help.

If it's got oil pressure and isn't running hot then it should'nt be "derating" the power. If it is, then it's POSSIBLE you have a defective ignition module.

But, I wouldn't be too quick to condemn the module until you verify that all the cylinders are firing and the engine timing is correct. Ensure that the throttle linkage is properly connected and that the carbs are achieving max throttle setting.

Also, an engine that runs cold, due to a stuck thermostat, will not develop full power so double check that the cooling system is operating "nominally".

I went out again the day before yesterday and got it peeing right-paper clip to unclog-and it seemed to run better but still not enought power to plane. I adjusted the tilt to the lowest position and that helped but didn't fix it. The mechanic said it should "pop up" onto plane once warm. He said he ran it for a while after rebuilding the carbs but didn't check timing and acknowledged the module potential. I'll take it to them tomorrow and will post the results. Thanks, jgmo.

Just be aware that MOST of the running issues with these outboards are from dirty or IMPROPERLY CLEANED carburetors. If your mechanic "missed" the rebuild, which happens a LOT, then he owes you some "quality time" to get them right. If it comes back with a new module and a hefty little bill to go with it and still doesn't run properly then.....well....you know.

I finally heard from the mechanic. This hull is a j14 with casting deck, center console, and cooler seat. They said it's a heavier boat than the dlx models but isn't waterlogged. They river tested it with one 200 lb. person and it planed and got to 22 mph. With 2 people, around 400 lbs., they said it was sluggish and wouldn't plane. They also said my motor is a long shaft sailboat motor which causes extra drag and more aggressive prop couldn't be fit on this motor. And, this boat has bottom paint. My son and I weigh around 300 lbs. The best answer they've got is to fit a hydoplane/dolfin on the motor. It won't ever be fast but I really want it to plane with my kid and I as fishing by myself isn't the point. The other idea is to fit a shorter lower end which isn't an option. I'll have it out next week and will report back. Jgmo, they didn't address the issues you brought up, I guess due to the weight factors involved and the fact that 1 guy did get decent speed and plane.

Well, you could keep your eye out for a trade situation or sell and buy a better matched motor. If you figure that neither of those scenarios is likely, then one other option, which has been taken before, is to buy or fabricate a "jack plate" to mount the outboard high enough to get maximum thrust and minimal drag.

Good luck with it.

Got it back from the shop with a dolfin installed and went out tonight. Today was my first time running by myself. It took a while but in calm water it planed and was pretty quick. The weather report called for 2 foot seas today and in my limited experience I'd have to say they where right. I was even able to plane at 19.2 mph in the waves but going with the tide. Performance going against the tide was much less. Around 20 mph is plenty fast and as it turns out the boat can take up to a 40hp which in a 14ft. flat botton skiff would be fun. Maybe when my 20yr old saltwater outboard gives up, which doesn't seem likely to happen soon, I'll might consider the 40hp, having the power is a nice option. Jgmo, the jack plate was discussed and would probably help even more but I hope to be done spending for a while. The shop, Coastal Boating Center in Savannah, GA has earned my business. Time to learn to catch some fish. Can anybody recommend a cheap powerful boom box type thing. That motor's loud and I'll need some tunes.

Glad to hear you're satisfied with what you have. Too many of us have what is plenty adequate and serves us well but fail to rcognize it. If your original intent when buying the boat was fishing, then your putting the speed thing behind you (at least for now) will now open up many avenues of fun. FUN!

As far as the boom box goes, I recommend an inexpensive one. Why? Because in my experience, the first one typically ends up falling off the dock or catches a big bow splash going upwind. Same thing with tackle boxes. Buy 2 or 3 or 4 instead of one big one. That way you'll still have lures and supplies left after you hear "galump"...:)..:O..:-(....

Back