Logo

bf225 blocked speedo tube in lower leg please help.

Turbotonner

Hi All,

My MPH gauge has not worked for a little while now but I'm trying to sort the issue, I've traced the problem to the pedo tube really blocked in the lower leg, ive tried roding it out with wire from top and from bottom, from the bottom it goes in about an inch then is hard up on the casing and from the top it goes down about 4 inches. Does anyone know if the little pipe goes straight down then goes 90 degree at bottom or does it have bends or restrictions inside leg? Also what is the best way to clean it out, wire or chemicals ect? Thank you for any info.

After several years of trying to keep that onboard pitot cleared out, I gave up and simply mounted an external pitot on the transom. Plug the tube coming from the onboard pitot and rout the new pitot tube into the original via a plastic tube connector. The external pitot sender and tube are pretty inexpensive - under $15.00 in most places. Experience shows that these things are fairly accurate at higher speeds, but clearly not at trolling speeds. So if you are doing a lot of trolling or low speed cruising, you are better off hooking up a water wheel type speed sensor. I ended up changing out my Garmin transducer for one that has the water wheel integrated into it.

Hi Chawk_man, thank you for your reply and help. Yes that sounds like the right direction to mount an external unit. I will head out and purchase and fit one.
Thanks again

I eliminated might all together most chart plotters/GPS will give you speed over ground one less issue to deal with )

Back