Logo

BF200A Beeping with 2 second interval and Check Engine Light on (Steady)???

Jukesy

Hi, I've got a 2006/7 Honda BF200a outboard and it was perfect last year and before but right at the end of summer it started beeping while out on a trip and showing a steady Check Engine light. I've looked a the manual and it have some guidance but it depends on if this is a Long or short beep. I have no idea how you tell only able to check the gap between actual beeps and that it's consistent with the light also on constant.

Video here so any help greatly appreciated as my boat is 100 miles from the nearest Honda dealer so don't want to trailer it all the way there and back to plug in a PC and find a simple fix (if I'm so lucky).

Mark

That's a single long beep. However, it looks like you only have the two light key switch panel. So, the normal procedures for pulling codes will not work. You will need to have someone with Dr. H plug in and tell you what the problem is.

If you do have a 4-light panel (green oil pressure, red alternator, red overheat, and red check engine) and I didn't see it, then let me know and I will post the procedure for pulling fault codes and the meaning of the fault codes.

I have the two light Battery and Check Engine on the console next to analogue Honda gauges and a side mounted throttle with oil pressure and overheat.

Does that work or it’s a Dr.H (laptop) to know?

OK, I think that that will work. Two documents are attached. The first tells you the proper procedure for pulling codes and the second tells you what the codes mean. The best procedure is to pull codes, write them down, then clear the codes as described, run the engine until it alarms, then pull codes again. Sometimes the ECU will throw random codes, so this procedure will allow you to isolate the main problem(s) causing the alarm.

Attachments

• Procedure for Getting Fault Codes.pdf
    189.6 KB · Views: 14
  • MIL Fault Codes Scanned.pdf
    85.1 KB · Views: 9
Ok…. So I caved and got a Honda authorised service place to pick up the boat and asked for a full service and to check the fault.

They showed me the Dr.H showed bad O2 sensor and forked out €180 for a new sensor that was fitted. I’ll save the milllion issues with this dealer for another time 🤪

They ran the engine in a test tank for water and cleared the computer and all good.

A weekor two later after it was delivered back to coast, I took it to the boat ramp to put it in the water and it beeped+flashed again same as before.

Today I went to use the C Clip/wire trick to get the code. Here is the video for your opinion but I only count 5 flashes and the table has 4 or 6?

But I also see on a second check that there is long flash (for how many instances the fault was registered) then short flash for problem. So then it’s 4 times 1 short flash… which is O2 sensor connector, wire or misfire on spark plug… I think 🤔

Thanks again for everyone’s’ help…. Hoping to save a trip back to the crooks and get to use my boat sooner with the family.

You are seeing a code 41 - four long flashes and one short flash. That is a disconnected HO2 sensor heater circuit or a short in the HO2 sensor heated circuit. Unplug the connector, check for a bad connection, corrosion, or a pin pushed in or out of place.

You are seeing a code 41 - four long flashes and one short flash. That is a disconnected HO2 sensor heater circuit or a short in the HO2 sensor heated circuit. Unplug the connector, check for a bad connection, corrosion, or a pin pushed in or out of place.
Thanks @Chalk_man! HO2 sensor is same as O2 Sensor? There is a heater for that? Sorry new to marine engines…. Any YouTube video to show that check/connector location or page on Honda workshop manual I can follow?

HO2 stands for heated oxygen sensor. Yes, there is a heating element inside. When you turn on the key, it rapidly heats up to about 600 F. It's on the port side (left) manifold. Not the thing screwed into the top of the manifold, that's one of the heat sensors. It sticks out the side of the manifold. It's very easy to spot. See attachment.

Attachments

• HO2 sensor removal.pdf
    251.5 KB · Views: 7
Ok found it and checked the connector. Seems like it’s good. Only weird thing is that we paid for a “genuine Honda” part at great expense after the authorised dealer insisted that he would only fit genuine parts and you get the best quality.

As you see in the pictures the HO2 sensor has a much lighter grey connector (some minor play but seems to make a secure connection) and the wiring colours don’t match the engine.

Anyone confirm or deny they 3rd partied it on the sly?

I unplugged and replugged checking for any obvious issues and restarted engine. Same beep and MIL light illumination after a few seconds running.

IMG_3079.jpeg

That variation in color is likely due to age. Just to be sure the right one is in there, the base of the correct HO2 sensor should fit a 22 mm wrench (i.e. spanner.) and NOT be sitting in an adapter. It is possible that they installed the wrong HO2 sensor. The sensor needs to match the ECM. It gets complicated. I'm going to try to attach Honda Service Bulletin #70 so you can understand the differences between HO2 sensors for different engine models. If it doesn't attach, then send an e-mail to me and ask for Honda Service Bulletin #70. Send to [email protected].

Attachments

• sb70 .pdf
    194.7 KB · Views: 7
Ok so there doesn’t seem to be an adapter and I got all the model numbers for engine and ECU that’s installed. Not sure the part used for new sensor but as I said no adapter and I can ask for sure.

(See pictures)

Shipyard finally agreed to come take the boat back to try and diagnose/fix.

The engineer there said the engine is running fine but the ECU is only requesting a check/sending signal each 3 minutes to the HO2 sensor not every 2-3 seconds as it should. So they tell me the ECU is shot and that Honda Greece said they stopped making them 2 years ago and can’t supply.

I saw 1-2 new or used -A04 versions mentioned in the bulletin available online but they said this might not be compatible with EU version/emissions or fix it.

Thoughts?

P.s. the tag on outside and Dr.H say it’s BAEJ14….. but a sticker on the engine Dundee cover says BEAEJ11….. seems odd

IMG_3118.jpegIMG_3121.jpegIMG_3120.jpeg

IMG_3119.jpeg

The BEAEJ is the frame number, not the engine's SN, which is 1401270, which makes it an A6 model, per SB #70. So, your repair shop should have replaced that HO2 sensor with the new part number and ECU listed on page 7 of the service bulletin. HOWEVER, this SB may not apply to European models, I don't know one way or the other.

Maybe some of the Brits on this thread could chime in.

The BEAEJ is the frame number, not the engine's SN, which is 1401270, which makes it an A6 model, per SB #70. So, your repair shop should have replaced that HO2 sensor with the new part number and ECU listed on page 7 of the service bulletin. HOWEVER, this SB may not apply to European models, I don't know one way or the other.

Maybe some of the Brits on this thread could chime in.
Do you have the part codes for what the original HO2 sensor should have been and the new sensor to match ECU? I assume there is no loom change here?

Anyone in UK/EU comment?

Sorry I saw those at the end of the bulletin you are right. Spoke to the engineer tonight and he forwarded me another post that you commented on @chalk_man.

Apparently it’s almost identical with HO2 sensor heating up fine and everything running perfect but the ECM isn’t sending any check signals out until around 3 minutes later and then every 3mins rather than continuously until after 3,000Rpm (then the checks stop apparently).

Recommendation is now ECM (if I can get one of the A02’s somehow).

Did the guy(s) ever get to the bottom of the thing on that post?

If the solution is not posted, I don't know.

Be sure you get the original HO2 sensor back. It might still be good.

It's really strange. I have over 2300 hours on my 07 BF 225 and the original ECM and HO2 sensor are still working fine.

Update and new question….

After much escalation to Honda Marine Europe and messing about they finally confirmed in writing that SB70 applies and the newer -325 kit can be ordered (I’ll omit the pricing chaos but we got there). So now we wait for the kit and hope it arrives before Greece shuts for August.

I have one new side question… with the later ECU model is it possible to now connect to NMEA/get engine data on my MFD/GPS? The 2006/7 model didn’t have that but I’m hoping the post 2010 ECU might enable it as a side benefit? Or maybe not?

Starting with the 2010 models, Honda does interface with NMEA 2000 protocols, at least in the US. Not sure for the EU models. And I don't know how the interface plugs up.

BTW - I just realized that Honda SB #70 was updated in July 2016. Attached is the revised SB.

Attachments

• SB 70 Revised July 2016_ recall #2 of 2.ptb54134.pdf
    889.4 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for the updated SB. Seems to be the same as before for my A6 model only adds more serious care for manifold change on newer models/BF225’s.

I guess I am hoping that upgrading to a 34750-ZY2-A04 ECU makes it a post 2010 model and NMEA compatible. I wonder who would know? Any idea when the A04 ecu started being produced?

There is a Honda specific cable that plugs into one interface on engine look and outputs to NMEA from my previous research (went cold after I saw only on later models and my 2006/7 model was a no go).

Somewhere, there needs to be a native program that translates the Honda proprietary signals from the ECU to the NMEA 2000 recognized signals. Whether or not that is native to the upgraded CPU, I don't know. You ought to discuss that with your dealer, if trustworthy.

I purchased two NMEA cables for my Garmin Echomap 92SV Plus and twin BF200´s. Only issue was the instance number change on one of the engines as both had the same instance number. Did that with Dr. H. God knows why they don´t use different instance numbers for counter-rotating engines. Connected the engines to NMEA 2000 multiconnector, setup the Garmin and worked like a charm. Even have the "ECO" indication.

Thanks Blacktimes. What year are your engines? Are ness planning to do the same but NMEA wasn’t supported on the 2006/7 models I think only after the 2010 or something.

The funny think is now I need a new ECU that is from around then so I’m wondering if I have a chance to do it somehow. Maybe I’m missing a loom cable or something to output the NmEA interface as above.

I guess I need to see if someone took an older model that wasn’t NMEA compatible and upgraded it to work.

Or some information on what Honda actually changed on the later models to make them output to NMEA. (ECU or chip, Cabling, firmware/SW…etc).

I have access to a Dr.H in the short term while I wait for new ECU to arrive from Honda Belgium.

I also have a garmin echomap

Back