Logo

Bf2 oil leak

Have a 2010 BF2 that was laid on the correct side ONE TIME when it was purchased and has been vertical ever since with the exception of being tilted forward on transom for shoring. At approximately 7 hours into the break in it started leaking oil from the starboard rear area, out two small holes and down the shaft into the water! Returned it to dealer and they say there is nothing wrong. Any body figure what the problem is?

I don't know this motor but if it has an oil filter on the stbd side as some of the bigger motors do, I'd be looking around there. I've seen spin on filters leak when new from seams and at the gasket interface. They are made of very thin metal and as cheaply as possible. Defineatly something to keep an eye on.

For starters, with the engine perfectly level on a motor stand, check the oil level in the "bulls-eye". It should not be higher than the center of this sight glass.
Secondly, when running, shut the fuel off about 50 yards, from the landing to remove some fuel from the system to aleviate heat/pressure build-up.
Reason,,,,the "oil" could may be fuel that is expanding , bypassing and running down the engine. Check closely to see if the "leak" is actually oil, and not fuel.
These two functions satisfied, THEN you could move on to an oil leak possibility. Oil leaks are far from a typical issue on the 2hp.

For definately oil and the dealer is of the impression that I'm laying it on the wrong side and or placing head below prop. If that were the case I don't think it would start. Any way I'm going to plug the two holes with silicone and take it back to dealer with the oil sitting in the shrowd. Thanks.

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I have the same 2hp Honda and it's doing the same thing. I store it tilted up on the back of my dinghy and it has suddenly started leaking gas and oil out of the starboard side under the cowling. I also had a hard time getting it to stay running. My thought was that the float in the carb might be stuck and fuel is just pouring out of the carbeurator and flooding the engine. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey everybody, I also have a Honda 2 hp engine on my inflatable /rigid hull search and rescue type boat! I got it for free and replaced the piston/connecting rod assembly, while I had it took apart I bought a brand new carburetor and installed before taking it out . Ran great for the first mile, i then lifted the engine up and used my trolling motor to navigate where I was fishing at a few hours later I cranked it back up to get to a small island ,when I got to shore I lifted the engine back up to a horizontal position ,and when I left the island it started ran good for about a hundred yards , and then stalled out on me , I then realized that there was oil all over the housing that covers the engine, but I have yet to find a noticeable oil leak ? Any ideas or tips or insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

My initial thought is that something has gone amiss with the crankcase breather system But, you didn't say if it's an A or a D model. Quite a bit of difference between the two. Since you've been working on it and buying parts I'm sure you must know that though.

The D model has a valve, filter and pipe. Did you get all that cinched down good during assembly? It will make a mess if the valve comes loose or, worse, if a piston or ring broke on you.

Items 3, 4, 5, and 6 in the link below.

The A model is generally an older design and much different.

You're likely going to need to clean it up carefully while looking for the exact source.

Good luck.

Back