Logo

Bf150 tapping noise.

shovelheadsup

I am new to this site and this is my first post/question. I have a 2016 Honda BF 150. I've done all my own services since the motor was new. Recently I have been getting a tapping noise at start up. It sounds similar to a hydraulic lifter that has bled down and takes a second to pump up. I understand this motor does not have hydraulic lifters so I know that's not what it is. The first time I noticed it it was very slight and only last for about two seconds. It does it every time on initial start up but then I can shut the motor off and it does not do it again until the motor has sat overnight. The noise is now getting louder but it still only lasts about two seconds on initial start up. I'm thinking it might be the hydraulic timing chain tensioner. Does anybody have any insight on this.

Is engine wiggling at idle? how man Hours on the motor ? At 600 hours you should have valves adjusted on the BF150. Fresh full synthic 10w/30 might help let it warm up a bit see if tapping stops. Seriosly doubt its the hydraulic chain tensioner, they have a mechanical spring inside that is really strong that keeps the tension on the timing chain. have seen them filled with milky oil get cleaned and put back into service with no issues. Pull the valve cover and check chain tesion from right exhaust side of chain if you can move the chain get defletion and it doesnt go back then maybe the hyd tensioner spring broke but I doubt it. see page 9-3 of service manual. if its going away in 2-3 second could be wrist pins or rod bearings after they get oil in there they quiet down.

Last edited:
I have 1600 hours on the motor. The first time it made the noise was about 100 hours after a valve adjustment. I thought maybe something got loose so I opened it up and checked and all the valves were adjusted fine. It doesn’t sound like it’s coming from deep in the motor it sounds like it’s up top. I only have about two seconds to listen to it before the noise stops. The motor runs perfect no hesitations no shaking at idle. I’m hoping somebody else has experienced this and chimes in before I start ripping into the motor investigating.

I have 1600 hours on the motor. The first time it made the noise was about 100 hours after a valve adjustment. I thought maybe something got loose so I opened it up and checked and all the valves were adjusted fine. It doesn’t sound like it’s coming from deep in the motor it sounds like it’s up top. I only have about two seconds to listen to it before the noise stops. The motor runs perfect no hesitations no shaking at idle. I’m hoping somebody else has experienced this and chimes in before I start ripping into the motor investigating.

<p>
With 1600 hrs try some Lucas, see if it cures it. Or you could pull valve cover and check valve adjustment jam nuts didn't back off. Need an angled or L shaped feeler guage to get in there. It is not easy to do valve clearances with intake and exhaust manifolds on, much easier when they are off. If you find jam nut loose and clearance out: Pull number one spark plug and put wood dowl down into the cylinder then move crank til number one piston top piston is all the way out even with head gasket stick should be pushed out far as it will go then look at cam timing marks on the cams and chain to verify they are incorrect position then start adjustment procedure per 3-12. could rotate crank/cams around to skip to just the loose nut to verfiy clearance on just that one. leave feeler in while tighting it down so you dont loose the gap setting.</p>

The tapping noise is the low pressure fuel pump, once the vapour seperator is full the pump will make a tapping noise which will go away as the fuel starts to flow again. This is not a new noise, these motors do it from new as do the V6 motors.

Thanks but no it’s not the low pressure fuel pump. The noise is coming from higher up in the motor. The low pressure fuel pump makes an entirely different tapping noise which I am familiar with.

At 1600 hours I would be replacing the timing chain and tesioner anyway, had a few slip and bend valves around those hours.

Back