Logo

BF115 verify timing marks

Chris061

Hello,

Have a recently acquired 2001 BF115 that is getting some much needed TLC.
I have the Helms manual and been going thru the maintenance section, updating filters,etc..
and checking valves,etc..

I noticed something odd today. If I align the TDC marks for Cyl1 as shown in the manual,and
also using a long plastic straw to ensure that piston 1 is at TDC, the small dimple on the alternator
pulley does not align with mark on the engine.

See attached pic, the white handle screw driver shows the current position of dimple.

IMG_20170210_173944116_HDR.jpg
Is the alternator pulley keyed to crankshaft? If not, I guess its possibly slipped or not installed correctly?

I was looking for another visual mark on the other toothed pulleys, but don't see one, however the manual
does make mention of such mark. Should I be able to see the timing mark on toothed pulley without having to
remove the alternator pulley?

thanks for your help,

chris

Hi,
I don't know this engine but are you at top dead center on the compression stroke?
If you have the engine at TDC but it's on the exhaust stroke it would make sense that the marks don't align.

Verifying TDC compression stroke can be done a few ways but the absolute most reliable is to have the piston at the top while ensuring both intake and exhaust valves are closed.

This is most easily done with the valve cover off so that you can physically wiggle the rockers with your tongue to be sure they are loose.

Good luck

I am not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that last sentence but it should have read;
"wiggle the rockers with your hand".....

Sorry it caused any confusion.

Good luck.

Well....I just hope Chris061 didn't think I was trying to be "cute" :>0
I'll blame it on auto correct and poor proof reading.

It is keyed and there should be a very small cutout on the top edge of the pulley to align with the timing mark.

Mike

Mike,
Thanks for info. So how can it be so far off?

I watched the camshaft / valves alignment while rotating the crankshaft and using a plastic straw in cyl 1 spark plug hole to give me a visual position of piston and all that alignment seems correct.

I bought the 50mm pulley socket along long breaker bar with the idea of taking off the alternator pulley to check below for marks on the other drive pulley, but...even with using an extra 3ft piece of pipe, I was not able to break loose the bolt holding the pulley to the crankshaft. I know the manual shows torque spec at 181 ft/lbs, but I figured with a long piece of pipe it would come loose.

I welcome further recommendations on how to proceed with this.

chris

Mike,
I looked online for pics of the pulley and see that it is both splined and keyed.
If you look at the pic I posted the dimple is at 6 o'clock. This does not agree with diagram in the manual.

IMG_20170211_165652535_HDR.jpg
Using the dipstick to mark piston 1 travel from tdc to ddc I measured the stroke at 3.8 inches which agrees with manual specs.

Here is the odd thing... if piston 1 is placed at tdc mark using the cyl head mark and crankshaft pulley dimple it does not agree with the dipstick tdc mark, in fact it will travel another 2.4 inches upwards before it is tdc.

What the heck ?? Is honda doing something different with timing that I don't understand here?

Last edited:
OK.... I have figured it out, the mark referenced above is only there for belt tensioning. One of the pages in my manual was out of order and I missed it.

Question for those of you who have changed the balance or timing belt....
How the heck did you get the crankshaft bolt loose?

Hello,

Have a recently acquired 2001 BF115 that is getting some much needed TLC.
I have the Helms manual and been going thru the maintenance section, updating filters,etc..
and checking valves,etc..

I noticed something odd today. If I align the TDC marks for Cyl1 as shown in the manual,and
also using a long plastic straw to ensure that piston 1 is at TDC, the small dimple on the alternator
pulley does not align with mark on the engine.

See attached pic, the white handle screw driver shows the current position of dimple.

View attachment 14801
Is the alternator pulley keyed to crankshaft? If not, I guess its possibly slipped or not installed correctly?

I was looking for another visual mark on the other toothed pulleys, but don't see one, however the manual
does make mention of such mark. Should I be able to see the timing mark on toothed pulley without having to
remove the alternator pulley?

thanks for your help,

chris

Hey Chris , How did it workout on doing the timing ?This is my first attempt to try it .

Back