Logo

BF100 apparent overheat

NaymzJaymz

Contributing Member
Hi again guys. My BF100 is an '82. I put the shaft into a trash can of water(as I've done many times) to fire it up up and run it before taking it out on the lake. It idled great and had the usual water stream from the "pee hole". After a couple of minutes I put it in gear and the water stream stopped, and after a short time steam started coming from the pee hole. It appeared that the motor was overheating, so I shut it off. I briefly started it back up after letting it cool down, but I quickly shut it back off when I only got steam and no water. As I've said in past posts, I've never been too impressed with the water stream from this engine. Did the impellor fall apart? The expelled water comes from the intake manifold, should I take it off and clean the water passages? Then of course, I must change the impellor if it's the culprit. Here's hoping that Hondadude and the other knowlegable people can give me some advice on this.Thanks again.

James

It sure sounds like the impeller just lost it's last arm. I've taken some gear cases off for other reasons and thought "well, while I'm in here I'll change the impeller" even though the pee stream looked ok. Sometimes, when I do that, I find impellers with only one or two arms. So, yes, I'd go there first.

I've recently gotten into working on some of the "vintage" motors and they can have other "water delivery" problems.

Over the years, especially in salt water, the metal parts of the cooling system deteriorate. Make sure the tube from the pump up to the oil case doesn't have any holes eaten in it. It can leak and you won't see it but your volume to the engine block will go down.

Check the tube to oil case seal. They get old and hard and crack. Again, a leak that you might not detect but will affect volume. They don't cost much and it's a good idea to replace them when doing your impeller.

The oil case, being of cast aluminum, can get eaten (eroded) away and won't properly hold that tube to case seal in place and that will cause you to have a leak and lose volume.

But, it sounds like a pump to me.

Good luck.

Yeah, so here I am 10 years later with very similar problem. I am wondering if any one has found a reliable part number for a kit that includes the housing?

Hi,
It's best for you to open a new thread since this one doesn't have many subscriptions (possibly only mine) and a new post gets you many more eyeballs on your problem.

Also, you don't say anything about what outboard you have. Make sure you include make, year, model, horsepower and frame serial number if you have it. Include the symptoms you're seeing too.

Good luck.

Back