Logo

BF 8D. BFP 8D Data Tag

iheartbarges

Good Evening,

Coming from a history of Mercury Outboards and working on my first honda now, so go easy on me!

The data tag has BF 8D and BFP 8D, with a serial of BAAJ-1001169.

First question, what the heck is power thrust and does it change any parts?
Second, how can one ID what this engine is, since both are on the tag?

thanks in advance for all the help!!

Power Thrust BFP8D models came with a prop 10 x 6 1/2. Standards had 9 1/4 x 9. Longs/XL had 9 1/4 x 8. There was also a Reverse Exhaust Relief that diverted exhaust to above the anti-ventilation plate while in reverse. I suppose the PT models would help (larger) boats with their lower end pick-up?

Hi,

Looks like you have a 2001 year model. Find your serial "range" in the parts look up list below.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/8hp

I have never actually seen a power thrust model in person so I can't tell you a lot about what their purpose was. I've always assumed that they were for deeper draft hulls like sailboats because I don't see any short shaft references for them. But, that's just me guessing.

If you compare some parts....as in between the BFP 8D LRA and the BF 8D LRA for example, the camshaft, the valves, the vertical shaft, the prop shaft kit, the pistons, the connecting rods, crankshaft and the carburetor are all the same part numbers.

So, as BrookerV12 points out, maybe the original propeller is what makes it the power thrust.

Anyway, that's all I've got so please let us know any insights to these that you may uncover.

Welcome to Honda!

Back