Logo

BF 40 oil leak from gearcase

robert97

I am having a problem with gearcase oil leak. Well i opened the botom screw of gearcase and found white oil 20170408_1910185.jpg:(:( and when all of the oil drained which was not that much because most of it leaked, i used a compresor to test where it leaks. Air is comming out of shift selector and i am curious is it hard to fix?:confused: Thanks 20170409_1041242.jpg

That rubber boot is probably due to be replaced, it is easy, I think in total it runs about $12 or so on www.boats.net. Also, below that 10 mm bolt is an additional seal, that is probably also one that is due to be replaced. Remove the bolt and that keeper flange and then that lid will pop off. You may have to remove the water pump to do it, I can't remember. It is not a hard job regardless.

Today I went to mechanic with whole gearcase and asked him can you watch me and Ill replace that rubber boot.
Well when you want to take off that rubber, you just have to unscrew it (counter clockwise) and put new on by screwing it clockwise so it doesnt damage the rubber. After I changed it we preasure test it and put it in water and then i saw that it leaks also on a shaft. So I took off a water pump and just beneath it there are 2 seals that are easy to replace. We changed that 2 seals and put all together and again preasure test it, finaly there were no bubles.
I think i solved a problem, we will see in 3 weeks :)

Back