Logo

BF 225 Oil Consumption

wajira

Regular Contributor
Hi,

we have some old engines which are done 500hr to 600hr ,start consuming engine oil.

Engines are running fine till 50 hours after oil change.by the time oil level goes down.

its seams to be stuck oil rings. cylinder compression ok.

Anybody use rings free oil additive or ring free fuel additive, i have not done it, before open engine at least i can try using some additive,

hope somebody try it,

wajira

I used sea foam on mine and poured it straight into the cylinders and let soak over night. Brought my compression up about 35 psi

Only use seafoam through the spark plug holes. Do not put it through the Fuel system on a fuel injected engine. It will damage the filters in the injectors.

With Seafoam in the cylinders and letting it sit will work, but you have to change the oil right after. The seafoam will pass the rings and enter the crank case. I really do not like doing it this way.

Ring Free from Yamaha will also do the job. It will do it gradually, which is safer for the cylinder walls.

Chris,

Could you please provide more information on Sea Foam damaging the filters in the injectors. I've never heard of that before and do not understand how it would damage those filters. Would it be because any debris broken loose by the Sea Foam could possibly clog them? Wouldn't the main HP fuel filter catch the debris first?

Chris,

Could you please provide more information on Sea Foam damaging the filters in the injectors. I've never heard of that before and do not understand how it would damage those filters. Would it be because any debris broken loose by the Sea Foam could possibly clog them? Wouldn't the main HP fuel filter catch the debris first?

Fuelinjectorman.com Is the one who told me about this and I had to see it for myself. I took some injector filters and submerged them in Seafoam for a couple of days, It deteriorated the injector filters. I got the same result.

Chris,

Very interesting. Thanks. After reviewing the "Fuelinjectorman.com" website, I spent a few hours looking into that issue. I could not find any collaborating discussion. Indeed, much of the stuff I found that discussed the effects of additives and cleaners on fuel injectors and injector filters just indicated that they were not very effective. The exception seemed to be the Chevron Techron.

I could not discover what material the injector filter is made out of. Consequently, I cannot discern what would cause the Sea Foam to destroy the filter. However, it seems that the filter needs to be made of pretty tough stuff because of the pressure and heat it is subjected to.

Still scratching my head on this one.

Bill

Back