Logo

BF 225, 2007, Failed water pump and drive shaft

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
This post is simply a heads up on a problem I just encountered and do not recall any previous posts on this issue. On Monday, I went down to clean the boat and get set up for rockfish season. I lowered the boat on my lift until water was well over the leg, cranked it up, and let it idle while cleaning the deck and pulling out the fishing gear. After about 15 minutes, I got an overheat alarm. My two external heat sensors for the manifolds were showing the correct 160 F, so the block temperature sensor was throwing the alarm. Well, I figured the impeller was overdue for a change out, so I pulled the boat and towed it over to a nearby mechanic who was going to help me pull the lower end. I already had a full water pump replacement in my shop, so good to go. We pulled the lower end and unbolted the impeller housing. The impeller was still in good shape, BUT the woodruff key had striped out of its slot in the drive shaft, completely obliterating the slot in which it is supposed to be seated.

I am not sure how this could have happened, since the water pump had been working fine since the last time it was changed out about 5 years ago. But somehow it got dislodged. Anyone have any theories?

I ended up taking the entire lower end over to a shop about 40 miles away who will rebuild it with a new drive shaft and any other parts that are visibly worn.

Bummer!

I don't know but those keys DO wear. I don't work on the big boys but, even on the much weaker twins, I noticed the wear taking place on impeller keys when I first started working on them back in the mid 2000's.

Because of that and the wear I saw on the impeller housings, I always told my customers to do a complete kit after 3 years but use a new key anytime the impeller was replaced. Looking closely I always found wear on those items even after only one season.

I've even caught myself knocking the key out of position when installing impellers so could it be something like that took place?

Also, I know NOTHING is perfect so I don't think it would be completely unreasonable to suspect that the last impeller may have been misformed enough at the key slot to allow for some movement.

I've seen a few crazy things come straight out of Honda parts boxes having worked as a contract mechanic for a small outboard dealer for 5 years.

Good luck with your repair.

Back