Logo

best prop for a 1988 40 hp Yamaha on a pontoon

timmyg

Hi everyone, I was wondering what you thought would be the best prop for a 40 hp Yamaha on a 24 foot pontoon?
The motor that was on it lost a cyl. so I robbed the 40 Yamaha from my fishing boat until I can afford to get another one for the pontoon. The pontoon gets used almost every day but I rarely use the other boat.

Thanks, Timmy

Re: best prop for a '88 Yamaha on a pontoon

When I bought the pontoon it had a mid 80s Evenrude 35 hp (bad cylinder) with an 11p. I had an old Glassmaster boat with a 1976 55hp Johnson and a 15p prop. I bought an 11p prop for it when I put it onto the pontoon. After a few months something happened and the 55hp lost a cylinder. Just my luck lol.
So I took the Yamaha 40hp off of my 15ft alum. fishing boat and put it onto the pontoon. I live on a small lake and the pontoon stays on the water and gets used almost every day and I rarely used the fishing boat and will put it back on the fishing boat when I get another motor for the pontoon.
The Yamaha has a 13p on it now.

Re: best prop for a '88 Yamaha on a pontoon

I think the 13p may be a little much for the 40 with that load.My buddy has a 24ft pontoon with a 125 and a 15p and thats a load for that engine.He runs the same speed at 3/4 and wide open which is very hard on everything.

Back