Logo

Bell/Gimbal Housing Leak-Hole

scortoncreekfisher

Contributing Member
I was recently on the water and engine flooded out. Took it to mechanic and he found 2 corroded holes inside the Bell Housing ( I think that is what is called ). Mechanic said he hadn't seen it before, clean bellows,out drive and housing... and there was corrosion. He said it was a big Job and really didn't have time to do it , so he recommend patching it? Any thoughts of how this could of happened and if a patch job will work? If patch would work, what type of apoxy?? JB Weld?You can see the hole on the top left of housing .. there is a tiny spot on opposite side that you cannot see.

How could this happen?

How to fix without replacing housing or can you?

Attachments

• IMG_0980[548].jpg
    IMG_0980[548].jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0981[547].jpg
    IMG_0981[547].jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Ayuh,.... To put a decent epoxy, 'n glass patch on it, ya need to pull it to get at it well,....

May as well swap it out for another 1 at that point,....

There's 1 over on the shop floor now like that on 1 side,...
Not worth fixin',....

To get there,... Pull the drive off,...
Then the motor out,...
After that 6 or 8 more bolts/ nuts, 'n ya push that housin' off the glass hull,....

what about weld something in there? curious... I am kind of confused of what I am going to do,,, It is in a 30 year old wellcraft that I have sunk too much $$ in the last couple years.
How long of a job to pull motor and replace Assembly?

How long of a job to pull motor and replace Assembly?
About 2 hours to prep the motor , 1/2 hour with a electric hoist to remove it, Then remove the power steering unit steering cable, 8 bolts/nuts and remove the inner housing. bang the outer housing off,

Back