Logo

Belgian 70hp, c.1983. Tools?

Hello folks.
Silly question to many, but, as most of my hand tools are metric, and I'm in the UK, and going to be working on the above engine as my first outboard, I need to know this- what spanners/wrenches and sockets etc. ought I to get hold of- don't suppose they are metric? Imperial size or something else? My first job might well be water pump service, and as the lower unit nuts are impossible to get a socket or ring spanner on, and the only option is an open ender, I need to get the right, correctly fitting one as they will be good and tight. I can't risk rounding the nuts off! So, any advice is welcome. I do have some English (A/F) tools, but if the motor altho' Belgian, has a US fastening set, I need to know in advance. Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

That's a good question, pull the hood and put a 13mm on the nut that looks that size, if there's play, you need A/F, no play metric. A digital calipers would make it even easier. 12.5mm and you need A/F
I have a Merc800 here in Ireland, but pre opening the Belgian plant. So I need A/F 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16" 5/8". If you have a 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets as well, a great help into the recessed nuts on the lower gear unit, 9/16" in my case.

That's a good question, pull the hood and put a 13mm on the nut that looks that size, if there's play, you need A/F, no play metric. A digital calipers would make it even easier. 12.5mm and you need A/F
I have a Merc800 here in Ireland, but pre opening the Belgian plant. So I need A/F 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16" 5/8". If you have a 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets as well, a great help into the recessed nuts on the lower gear unit, 9/16" in my case.

I have metric and some imperial sockets. 2 of the studs/nuts on the lower unit can only be done by open ended tool, so need to have very good fit. I don't have many imp. spanners, so trying to find out in advance if it's worth buying some. I also have a BSA motorcycle, and could use imperial toolss there, but IIRC they are Whitworth, so different again! Cheers.

All SAE nuts and bolt on your engine...
I was curious if they fitted metric nuts and bolts as it is built in Europe where everything was metric before the UK as Ireland went metric. Perhaps everything, nuts and bolts included, was boxed and shipped to Belgium and assembled there
A/F or Across the Flats or Imperial are the same as USA SAE. The thread may be different.
And then there's Whitworth, and a 1/2" W/W is a hell of a lot bigger than 1/2" AF or SAE. For giggles I had a look in my tool boxes, 1/4"w = 5/16" BSF= 17/32" A/F. Jaysus I have too much time on my hands:D
Barney Rubble ,Those gear unit nuts are 9/16" if A/F

Thank you everyone, for your kind help. I think one of my lads has some SAE/ AF tools, and just because I, too, have too much time on my hands, will put the digi calipers on the things too! As for Whitworth......let's just say, 'quaint'. Never mind the thread forms, and then there is BA, BSF, BSC, UNF, UNC, and on and on and....metric doesn't look too bad now!

Back