Logo

bb140 timing belt

eastcoastitalian

Contributing Member
i know there was a very long post on here somewhere about timing belts but i can't seem to find it again?? anyway i'm thinking the previous owner of my boat replaced the timing belt at some point and put it on wrong? the boat runs absolutly horrible when timed at 10 degrees btdc as the manual calls for at 750 rpm. but it seems to run almost perfect when it is set at 35 degrees btdc at 750 to 800 rpm which is almost what the degree should be for the advance at 2800 to 3700 rpm how would i go about making sure this belt was installed properly as i'm assuming it probably was'nt by the many other rigged up items i've found on the boat, thanks

Proof positive that even you Italians can work on Swedish engines! :D

Good for you that you caught this, and even better, that you understand what the issue may be!
Eduardo..... (aka "el_pescador").... is the man on these engines. :)

i'm better with american engines, but i'm trying.been repairing and rebuiling engines in gm, and chrysler"cars and trucks" for years, but the i/o process is new to me. but we don't have alot of choice around here as far as reliable volvo service in Florida theres only one shop around here that repairs or sells parts for vp and they're prices are insane! especially for a guy with limited financial means.finally got around to pulling the expansion tank and the balancer and the belt is the problem, none of the 3 marks line up at all, this boat has been a nightmare since i bought it, theres nothing worse than having to go through an engine someone has been working on when they have no idea what there doing! the guy swaped so many parts around on it from different engines that just are'nt compatable and don't match up.the 1 and only swap he did that i do like is he put the expansion tank set up from one of the aq131's on it, much simplier than the one that came on the bb140. going to go ahead and swap the rusted timing gears and spring while im in there, belt looks almost new still, line the notchs up, time it ,check advance and i should be good from there.thanks for the help.

Back