Logo

Battery light stays on after two beeps then goes out when started - WHY? HONDA 225hp/year 2011

805bigdrake

When I turn the key to "on" (not start) position and get the (two) beep, beep, the four lights go on and then all go off except the battery light. The battery indicator light stays on UNTIL I start the engine and then the battery indicator light then goes off and all is well (note: green oil light stays on as it should after starting) and I can go use my boat for the day. No problems! But why does the battery indicator light stay on when I click the key to the "on" position (not starting the engine) ? This is a new situation for me. I remember the battery indicator light also going off before starting the engine.

FYI:
Volt meter says 12.8 volts before start and 13.6 volts when engine starts (and battery light is off) and alternator gauge indicates all is good (around 13.5 or so).

QUESTION:
WHY DOES MY BATTERY LIGHT STAY ON UNTIL I START MY ENGINE? WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR?

Thank you!
Honda 225hp.jpg

That light is NOT a battery indicator light, but rather the alternator light. If the engine is not running, of course it will be on and stay on. It goes off once the engine is started and the alternator is throwing out amps.

I was wondering if 13.6 volts is the "specified" charging voltage. Seems a tad low to me but I've never operated one of these.
What does yours charge at chawk?

That's interesting because most highway vehicles with 60/90 amp systems charge at 14.2 volts or thereabouts.
But, I suppose, the outboard wouldn't be expected to carry loads for long periods such as driving lights, air conditioning/heating and a few other ancillary devices. I had not thought about that before not being a "big boy" owner.
Thanks for the info sir!

JGMO - mine reads 13.5 volts on the digital gauge. That signal comes off the ECU. But I also have a volt meter hooked up directly to the battery, and that one reads 14.4 volts.

Well, that is even MORE interesting. So it IS charging at 14+ volts.
Not sure what to think of that although my electrical knowledge does have some gaps. So, there's probably an explanation for that I might be totally unaware of.
I might post that as a question on my automotive user group and see what the smart kids say.
Thanks chawk!
JimmyD

JimmyD I asked the same question several years ago. Someone smarter than I am said that the ECU actually moderates the incoming voltage from the alternator/regulator to keep it in acceptable range for the sensors and ECU to operate properly. I don't know whether that is true or not, but it seemed to be a reasonable explanation. My directly-connected voltmeter will shoot up to around 15 volts just after startup, then settle down to approximately 14.4 volts after a few minutes. I assume that kind of variation would not be good for the sensors or the ECU.

Back