Logo

Bad stator? 1996 Johnson 70

I’ve been having issues with my Johnson 70 stalling when idling in first when cold and stalling under load when first trying to get up on plane. I’ve rebuilt the carby’s and replaced the fuel pump and the fuel line from the tank to motor so far. Today I put a multimeter to the 5 pin female connector coming from the stator it read 425 ohms on the orange wires and nothing on the brown wires shown in the attached pictures. Would this suggest the stator needs replacing? Also does anyone know what the black lead coming off the 5 pin plug from the stator is for? It comes off the plug and up into the harness. The OMC and CDI stator replacements don’t look to have a black lead on them. Cheers in advance 👍🏽
Will

First step is always a compression test.---Post the actual values.-----How did it run for you last season ?
Hey mate, cheers for your reply, I forgot to mention I’ve already done a compression test it read 90psi on all 3. It’s a bit low from what I understand, but I came to an assumption since it’s consistent throughout all cylinders it shouldn’t cause this big of an issue? Maybe not
Cheers

Hey mate, cheers for your reply, I forgot to mention I’ve already done a compression test it read 90psi on all 3. It’s a bit low from what I understand, but I came to an assumption since it’s consistent throughout all cylinders it shouldn’t cause this big of an issue? Maybe not
Cheers
My 30 HP had 90 psi on each cyl, and ran very poorly... Once cyl compression in a 2 stroke get below a certain threshhold, problems arise, although the compression on each cyl is "even"... Bogging, hard starting, lack of power, stalling, "lean sneeze" among other things... If I had your engine, I would do a very thorough decarb treatment and see if that helps....You might get another season out of it...Took me a long time to understand how critical even 10 psi is on a 2 stroke.. they behave very differently than 4 strokes..I have had 4 stroke engines where a couple cyls were 50 PSI lower than the others, yet the engines still ran good enough to use as daily drivers...

Back