Logo

Bad pistons on 1979 100 HP Johnson... Give up or fix?

Scottpeceny

Grabbed a 1979 100 HP Johnson for cheap- I have a 75 HP Evinrude that's also 1979 and figured I could use the Johnson for the trim motor and a few other parts at the very least. Before doing so, wanted to see if I could get it running. Knew it had bad compression in one cylinder when I bought it, and now I'm finding that two of the pistons had blown rings. My question is this- I know for sure I need a new piston for cylinder one (not pictured). Is this piston (pictured) salvageable? Is the cylinder damaged to the point I need boring? The cross-hatch is no longer apparent, at least not without looking very hard.

It's looking like I now need two new pistons and a new gasket set at the very least, with no guarantee of this motor running at all, let alone for another few years.... BUT, nothing else seems like it's in too bad of shape, and it could run for a lot longer if repaired... You just never know.

What do you think? Piston no good? Need re-boring? At what point do I bail on this project, knowing the motor is only worth what? $1,500? And that's if it runs.

Attachments

• 1resize.jpg
    1resize.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2resize.jpg
    2resize.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 3resize.jpg
    3resize.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 4resize.jpg
    4resize.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 6resize.jpg
    6resize.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 9resize.jpg
    9resize.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Cylinder needs boring..seeing crosshatch means nothing. Need to mike and see if out of round and it needs all 4 pistons due to old ones are high ring style. Exhaust port need a lil touch up.

Cylinder needs boring..seeing crosshatch means nothing. Need to mike and see if out of round and it needs all 4 pistons due to old ones are high ring style. Exhaust port need a lil touch up.

Sounds like we're leaning the same direction here... Grab the trim motor and other parts I need and bag trying to fix it. I just don't see it being worth the trouble for a 40-year old motor... Thoughts?

Back