Logo

Bad clunking, U Joint?

bayliner_az

Hi all,

Back for more help :)

I'm still not much on the terminology or the mechanics of the boating world but I'm greatful for your help in the past and hoping you can point me in the right direction once again...

First up its a 1986 Bayliner 2150 with a 225E Volvo Penta and AQ 275 Outdrive. Was at the lake this weekend and started to notice a clunking sound when turning. It got really bad really quick. I shut it down and checked it out but didnt see anything. Limped back to shore (not too far) but really noticed the noise got progressivly worse the further I turned in either direction.

Remembered I was pulling a tube earlier in the day and may have backed off the throttle too quickly and hit reverse for a split second... not sure...

The best I can describe it is that it sounds like a U joint smacking around or a CV joint on a car that is really gone.

The boat is home now and I'm trying to decide what to do. I searched the forum but wasnt able to come up with anything (probably because I'm not using the correct words).

Does this sound like something that would normally go out? What is the best way to narrow down the issue?

Guesses on the entire unit being bad? Is it something I could tackle myself?

I just don't want to drag it to the local shop and have them feed me a line that I need $5000 in repairs if I could do it myself.

Thanks in advance :)

Andrew

im no boat mechanic by any stretch, but i am a car mechanic. it definately sounds like a u joint to me. given the scenario with pulling it down from drive to fast and maybe even hitting reverse, it sounds like that is probably what did it in. seems like it wouldnt be to terrible to fix, but who knows. i usually take my ujoints to a local shop and they charge me 15 to remove and install.

Some shops will offer an enima before probing your rectum...... if that is of any comfort for you. :D

Without more info, I'd suggest removing the transmission. This is simple, and can be done without any real special tools.... just some know-how! We can provide that for you.

This will allow you to inspect the area.

My guess would be BOTH universal joint bearing crosses and Primary Drive Shaft bearings.
On your set-up, PDS bearing replacement requires removing the engine.
This too is not a huge untaking that could not be done by yourself.
These are among the easiest engines to remove.
You can leave the Flywheel Cover (aka bell housing in the auto world) installed in the boat if you wish!

This is not your exact system, but the F/C and PDS is the same.
7188.jpg

The two bearings and seals are easily available through a major bearing supplier. Cost is approx $35/40 for all four parts... much less expensive than what Volvo Penta wants for the very same thing.

Likewise with bearing crosses........ if internally clipped, these can be a Spicer 5-1306X for about $14 each if you know how/where to purchase them.

If this issues is PDS bearings, you do not know how lucky you are to have avoided a total failure here. :eek:

See if this is someting you could do yourself.
A shop would be in the range of $1,500 to $2k for this work.
You can do same for under a few hundred dollars, including your new drive bellows.

I would take Rick's advice. He guided my through the same procedure earlier this year, sans engine removal; my model drive allows the removal of the pds bearing aft with engine still in boat. You'll learn more about your boat and it is not too difficult. I do not have any special tools and only had to purchase a couple of snap ring pliers to complete the work.

Back