Logo

b80 Evinrude 30hp shifter slips out of reverse for Joe

P

Peter Cronin

" Hi. History: engine began s

" Hi. History: engine began slipping in and out of gear forward and reverse. Replaced badly worn cable and adjusted. Still had problem. Discovered that adjustment on shifter arm was loose; stainless steel shim dropped into my hand. Put back into place (what a pain), tightened and shifter worked like a charm for about a month. Then started nudging itself out of reverse (not as much fun when approaching the dock as one might expect).
Adjustment was not dead tight, but not really loose, either.
I think at some point star (lock) washer was incorrectly placed next to spacer, and so is acting as spacer.
I've noticed other Evinrudes of this vintage can have several spacers in this place.
Question: will removing star washer and putting in several spacers fix this problem, or should I just (just!) drop the lower end and replace the dogs and cogs (or whatever those gear-y-looking things are)?
Sure would appreciate your help on this. "

"Peter.... If you've been

"Peter.... If you've been running ther engine with the cable misadjusted for some time, and the engine is now jumping out (and back into) gear, which gives one the feeling that they are constantly hitting something, I would strongly suspect the the lobes on the shifter dog and gears are worn. If so, the cure would be to dismantle the gearcase and inspect the components.

Joe
"

" Joe -- I was afraid of this.

" Joe -- I was afraid of this. It is not, however, jumping back into gear, just out. It actually nudges the shift lever back into neutral, though I can hold it in reverse, and sometimes it will stay in reverse. And it holds forward, no problem.
Still no hope, though, huh?
Peter Cronin. "

"Pete.... Going by your last p

"Pete.... Going by your last post, it's always possible that some portion of the linkage is worn or simply not adjusted properly. A lower unit jumping out of gear usually (almost always) pertains to the forward gear.... and apparently your problem pertains to reverse.

Do this to see if neutral is centered where it should be. Remove the shift remote control cable from the engine. Spin the prop by hand and shift into forward gear. This has the shifter dog lobes lined up against the sides of the forward gear lobes. Now shift into neutral and turn the prop ever so slightly in the same direction (this will align the lobes so that they are in direct contact, facing each other. Now, gently move the gear shift back towards the forward gear direction (DO NOT FORCE THE LEVER).

Make a note as to where the shift lever linkages are.

For those that do not comphehend this thing about the lobes, the first shift motion would be like sliding the fingers of your right hand down alongside the fingers of your left hand. The second shift action would be like having the finger tips of your right hand pressing directly against the finger tips of your left hand.

Now, repeat that shifting action (spin the prop, shift into gear, shift to neutral, turn the prop slightly, etc etc) but towards reverse.

The shift action, pertaining to distance at the shift handle should be centered between neutral and forward, and neutral and reverse. If it isn't, you, in all probability, have something adjusted wrong. Let us know what you find.

Joe
"

" I finally got out to the boa

" I finally got out to the boat to try your suggestions.
Not only is the shift lever not centred, but when the roller is sitting on the half-round cutout that marks neutral, the bottom end is still in forward.
I guess the shifter at the console is sloppy enough, and human nature being what it is, I was compensating for this misadjustment.
Remember, this is with the shifter cable disconnected, so the misadjustment must be ?????, I don't know where. Is it the arm itself? "

"Peter.... The adjustment scre

"Peter.... The adjustment screw is in the handle itself. Look directly into the outside recess of the handle and you'll see the screw/bolt.

Joe
"

" Okay, thanks.
I'll have

" Okay, thanks.
I'll have a go this weekend and let you know how it turns out.
Peter "

" Okay, I finally got out to t

" Okay, I finally got out to the boat. Followed your instructions: loosened the bolt, wiggled the arm in what appeared to be the correct direction (toward forward gear), retightened the nut and 'voila', it worked.
She now shifts like a charm, without bumping out of gear. But I don't know why!
Just looking at it, my addled brain tells me that adjustment of this arm would require loosening the bicycle-pedal-type clamp, pulling the arm of its spindle, and moving it a notch or two in the proper direction, then putting it back onto the spindle.
How does this adjustment work?
I'm only asking because I feel certain this is going to happen again, and I don't want to mess up the adjustment in my ignorance.
AND . . . thanks, Joe; I sure appreciate your giving of your time and expertise to us folk. "

Back