Logo

Aviation Gasoline (100LL), Good or Bad for Carbureted BF40A?

Mako236@WYC

I have been running ethanol-free 90 octane gas treated with Seafoam Marine in my 1998 BF40A. It runs well. It is more convenient for me to find 100 octane aviation gas (100LL).

I would appreciate any experience/opinions about using 100 octane aviation gasoline (100LL) in this engine.

Aviation engines are not high revving engines.-----The specification on 100LL has to do with the shelf life.-----Put a tank in and try it.

Hi,
i certainly don't have all the answers but here's my "take" on your question:

The high octane isn't something that your outboard needs but my opinion is that the fuel won't do it any harm.

Octane is a result of additives that protect against detonation occurring. Usually desirable in high compression, advanced timing performance engines.

I believe that the aviation industry is, understandably, concerned about detonation occuring at altitude thus the high octane.

The LL component stands for "Low Lead".

But, when compared to unleaded gasoline, it's still a significantly "leaded" fuel.

The lead in the fuel will undoubtedly "poison" oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. Not a concern on your old 40 hp outboard but resist the temptation to use it in your post 60's/70's trucks and autos.

The lead may also leave deposits inside the engine. People running "AVgas" notice gray coatings on valve train components for example. Looks wierd but I know of no harm that it would cause to your outboard.

If air quality is at all a concern to you, burning the octane boosting chemicals does add a factor of pollutant to the atmosphere but you're already doing that with the 90 octane you're currently using.

Without disclosing any identities, I can say I know of AP (Air frame & Power) personnel that use Avgas in tugs, tractors, old pickups, lawn mowers, chainsaws and weed eaters.
Hot rodders and circle track racers use it a bunch too. It's illegal to do so in many cases because, like all "offroad" fuels, it's taxed differently.

It also smells DELIGHTFULLY like Pops filling up the station wagon when I was a kid.

Just Giving My Opinion

Avgas traditionally was available as 80/87 (red), and 100/130, (green), both contained tetra-ethyl lead as antiknock agents. Early Aviation motors were carbureted, and leaning was manually adjusted. Full “rich” was used for high power segments, takeoff (& landing in case of a go-around). Once at cruise,the engines were manually leaned for better fuel economy. Before the days of digital monitoring, a simple EGT, (exhaust gas temp), gauge was used, with a single probe on the hottest cylinder.
Engines were run slightly richer than stochiometric, (most efficient), for longevity. Lots of old wives tales persisted in leaning at night by watching the color of the exhaust tubes…a good way to shorten engine life. The two numbers closely equal the knock index at full lean/full rich settings. 80/87 was for lower compression av engines.
Many believe aviation gas is “hi-test”, & much more “powerful” than mo-gas. In fact avgas has lower Reid vapour pressure than mo-gas. It has to be less volatile to prevent vapour lock at the reduced atmospheric pressure experienced at high altitude.
I be,ieve it is very hard to find 80/87 today. One of my 1st flying jobs, I burned quite a bit of it in ‘71 GMC 1/2 ton, (350 4 bbl Rochester carb), and it ran fine.
Todays 100LL (blue), is the most common today. LL stands for low lead, however It still contains lead, acrually about equal to 70’s mo-gas. 100LL should run fine. The biggest caveat of avgas is lead fouls up catalytic converters, which is probably not an issue on a marine application. It’s also quite expensive vs mo-gas.

One other thought from the peanut gallery. I think you'll find 100LL is stable as all get out. Not generally a lot of concern over the age of the fuel onboard among pilots of small planes when climbing in for an outing - within reason.

Back