Logo

Auto gaskets

Reddman

Hi all, I am working on a Mercruiser 470. My question is can I use an automotive head gasket on this engine? I got the engine with only 300 hours on it but wanted to inspect it before install to verify I was not wasting my time considering some of the issues with these engines. Thanks for the help past, present & future.

Raw water cooled marine engines MUST use stainless head gaskets (for obvious reasons). If yours is fresh water cooled, no reason why auto gaskets wouldn't work. I mean, what's the difference?

Jeff

Correct if I am wrong here...... but I believe that all of the Merc 470 (aka 3.7L / 224 cu in) engines were fitted with Closed Cooling Systems!

This aluminum cylinder block engine uses the Ford 460 automotive cylinder head. Most any Marine Engine that is equipped with a Closed Cooling system can use a high quality Automotive head gasket. There is no need for the expensive Marine gasket if closed system cooled!

The question should be: are the Ford 460 Automotive head gaskets exactly the same as the Mercruiser 470 head gaskets?
If so..... I would see no issues!

Easy as that! But a smart move.

My olds slip neighbor's boat was powered by two of those 470 nightmares. Double trouble.

Jeff

I'd love to put in a 4.3 but $$$ is an issue right now & this engine was free. Just want to get it running again. Thanks for your input.

Back