Logo

Asking for guideance 2001 Merc 50 ELPTO.

Sprayer

In July I purchased a 2001 Mercury Outboard 50 ELPTO (SN 0T31313854) for $3000.00 Motor was claimed to be freshly tuned up/serviced and water ready fresh from a trade. Once installed It would not run faster than 13 mph by GPS ran up to 20 MPH for first 20-40 seconds then bogs down at WOT and slows to 12mph. I squeezed the primer ball hard, hit the choke no improvements with WOT still. Went back to Marine business I purchased it from and they said Sorry "sold as is". Its Ok to lie. Filed a complaint with the attorney general consumer complaint division. My word against theirs so it seems.

My boat is a 1994 16 foot G3 river john boat. Like a bass-tracker just thicker aluminum. Rated for a 50 HP.

So took motor cover off and began trouble shooting. Found Yellow wires to stator burnt and melted that was covered with electrical tape to hide it. Found Voltage regulator shorted. Stator tested slightly below of resistance spec. Replaced Stator and Trigger ( since I was there) with new CDI parts. Replaced bullet connectors from the connecting parts listed above. Replaced Voltage regulator with New OEM Mercury part. Tested on water problem still exists.

Replaced Fuel lines with 3/8 Ethanol rated from auto parts store starting at tank all the way up to fuel filter and a new specified fuel filter as old one was a lawnmower style. Rebuilt manual fuel pump. Looked ok inside. Rebuilt all three Carbs and cleaned all orifices to ensure they are clear with Carb cleaner spraying through. Installed new idle set screws and springs and new inlet needle valves verified operation before assembly. All new gaskets. I inspected the Reeds and they looked good as in no bent or missing pedals. Returned Low idle screws to 1.5 turns as was before. I tried adjusting +- 1/4 no improvement. Tested on water problem still exists. Did make it to 28 MPH then bogs down within 30 seconds and dies. Starts and wont go past 15 MPH. No duel leaks even when squeezing primer ball hard.

I used a spark tester and have spark on all three plugs and look similar while running. I have a clean 3 gallon fuel tank with fresh 87 "ethanol free" fuel purchased this week. No chance of water in fuel. Only thing left are the CDM modules. I am however wondering about the Timing and tuning of the carbs Etc before I shotgun the CDM's. It does run rough at idle but feel its typical of a Merc 2 stroke. It will idle on hose for several minutes then want to die. Like its loading up with fuel. At lake today on trailer it will oscillate from 1500rpm to 3500RPM while at WOT. Compression is 115-120 on all three.

Why I have done all this shotgunning? I am an electrician and mechanic so felt capable of fixing. I am a 100% disabled Gulf War Veteran so my resources are limited but have lots of time tools and a shop manual. I want to keep this forever so don't mind rebuilding it to last and not strand me on the lake. But now am out of patience. What am i missing before I take it to a Boat repair shop.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
How about replacing the CDM modules? You've covered moat all of the other bases.

Jeff

I tested the 3 CDM's and all 3 diode check and ohm out per manual. D to B pass diode test A to D pass diode test A to C 1095 Ohms A to Boot 1050 Ohms all within spec of manual. All gave exact readings within 1-2 of reading anyway.

I ran again at lake and sprayed carb cleaner in top carb and engine ran good for 3 seconds then bogged down. So I again took carbs apart cleaned again and looked for problems in high speed Jet. Didn't find anything obvious. All pathways sprayed carb cleaner in both directions freely. So looks like the symptom/problem is lack of fuel. Did notice the bottom carb seems to have extra fuel visible. Was hoping I don't have to do the reeds.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Back