Logo

AQ170 ready to freshwater?

Finnbiker

Hi!
Does anyone know on the basis of this four pics http://www.webbisivu.com/Salos-web,
is it chance of freshwater cooling in
this AQ170 motor? And if is, how i could coupling its(what is outgoing to heat
exchanger and what is returning to motor)

If someone know and says, thanks in advance.

Salos-web

Last edited:
Here's the answer to this question for those like myself seeking the option of freshwater cooling an AQ170. Now if we can only find the parts! There is enough detail to be seen in this video that someone with good working knowledge of heat exchangers could probably build a custom system. I'd like to find the parts, buy them and bolt them on. Who can sell me this setup?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOPMfT_oGw0

The last thread activity was in July of 2011.

I like the idea of adding a Heat Exchanger.
I noticed in the video that there was no water exiting with the exhaust.

Also note that not too many people are resurecting the 170 these days.

I wonder what Finnbiker (the OP) ended up doing with his AQ170.
He posted once, and disappeared.

Last edited:
Great to get a reply Rick,

Thanks for weighing in. I also noticed the lack of water in the exhaust. It appears to be a complete fresh water system with the only water exiting being the raw that cycles through the exchanger. If more of these engines had come with one there would be many more good engines around.

I know the numbers are dwindling. That's probably one of the most appealing aspects for me. Whether you're talking boats, cars or trucks, the straight six engine is the dark horse. They are typically bullet proof, reliable and pound for pound, quite powerful with torque to spare.

As far as spare parts goes it seems I have a talent. The main reason the former owner of my boat, a 22' Fibreform cuddy, gave up on it was the exhaust manifold. It took me two weeks to replace it. I now have one nearly perfect one on the motor and a nearly perfect spare. $250 for both! For those out there who've see what Volvo, and other shameless opportunists want for one, don't despair! Seek and ye shall find! For a few hundred more I also scored a fully rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs w/ intake, water pump, distributor, new alternator, new starter and much more.

Now if I can just find Finnbiker!!

Back