Logo

aq145a (no gasket) and OIL question

doctnj

Well my volvo overheated badly and it was "diagnosed" by a boat mechanic to have a cracked head with out pulling the head etc. This past weekend I tore the engine down and removed the head carefully to inspect what was left of the gasket. Only thing is I found NONE! both the head surface and the block was shiny. A slight residue around a couple ports but nothing else. There was evidence of moisture in the # 4 piston and valves but no other issues. It is a 79. Every other item that was taken off had a gasket or seal. Any one ever heard of this?

Also. When I pumped the oil out it was very thick and grey. How do I clean all the sludge out of the pan and engine with out pulling the engine to remove the pan?

1) No.

2) Some people use an engine flush product. Others use diesel or oil and diesel mixed. Personally, for an engine flush, I would fill the crankcase with ATF and run the engine for 10-15 minutes with no load, then drain the ATF and repeat the process. Then change filter, use some cheap oil, run the engine for awhile, change oil (this time fill with your regular good oil) and filter and you are done. Another solution is to use a high detergent oil designed for diesel as well as for gasoline engines (API CG-4 or CH-4 and SJ). I was using 15W-40 in my 4 banger for years and never had a problem; in fact, the oil pressure was higher at idle after a long run when compared with 10W-30 or 10W-40.

NO head gasket???? Did the head gasket thief grab it. This engine wasn't running was it? If it was those Swedes are darn good. The overhead cam engines rarely crack heads. They just have to be retorqued each year but it's best to start with one that has a head gasket in it. Pull the cam,turn the head upside down and level, and dump some gas in each squish area, see if gas runs out the either port, if it does you found your problem along with the missing gasket.

Back