Logo

AQ130C /270 "Problem"

Tonisher

So yesterday I replace the impeller, and the O-ring on the inlet to the oil cooler (the line runs to the water pump impeller. I notice that one of the carb's was leaking so I took off the air cleaner housing to get a better look (upper gasket). I started the motor on muffs it took a long time to start (starter fluid). When It finely started it was running very weak, it didn't really sound right. I notice that the O-ring on the oil cooler had sealed. Then I check the temp at the gauge it was going up. I gave it some throttle to see if that would help circulate the water. Engine still didn't sound good ( maybe because I had the air cleaner house off the motor). The temperature was about 210F and rising. Then I notice that O-ring was leaking again. I was under the impression that there is not supposed to be any back pressure in the oil cooler line. So I was thinking maybe there is a block in the system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tony

A little history would help. Is this the first time the boat has been run in a long time? Is the overheating issue new? Were you getting warm water out of the exhaust when the temp was up? How long since last tuneup?

Answers to those will help when looking for the source of the problems.

Sorry here the history I purchase this boat about a month ago. The boat have been sitting in someone back yard since 2005-2006. I recently replaced the plugs and wires. The first time I started the motor I saw the leak at the front of oil cooler bad O-ring. And it was overheating the first time it ran. Both time I ran the motor I wasn't getting any water out the exhaust flap. I noticed there is small round finger size hole at the bottom of the outdrive that leak water about as fast as it goes in the muffs. Should I try to plug these hole if so what should I plug them with.

Tony, as I said in my PM, you should get water out of the exhaust flap whenever the engine is running. If not, then there is a problem somewhere...could be the water pump is not capable of enough suction and/or pumping; a bad water pump impeller; air suction at the water hose neck connection near the top of the outdrive; or blockage somewhere in the cooling system. Start by plugging the hole in the bottom of the outdrive with a cork or anything else that will fill that hole and stay put and see if you get circulation with the engine running. Don't run it long if not!

Back