Logo

aq125a / 270 Stuck in down position, wont go up

discobayken

Regular Contributor
My 270 OD is stuck in the down position & wont come up. This is a problem because I cant get it on the trailer without dragging the OD on the pavement. can I get it up manuually? I tried the electrical connections... it makes a click sound when trying to make it go down... nada when you try to make it go up. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

In the mean time, you can manually unlock the reverse pawls by pushing down on the rod just below the foot of the lift mechanism. Use a long screwdriver to push down on the rod and lift up on the outdrive at the same time.

At least you'll be able to get it up and out of the way for trailering.

Heck, just reach under by the reverse lock and pull down on the thing and lift up!!! Doesn't fix the problem but lets the outdrive come up by lifting.

I would first check that the motor is good by unhooking the existing relay connections from it (remember where they go back on!) and powering it directly from the battery. You may just have a bad tilt motor.

If the lift motor is good check the thrust sleeve on the top of the rod on the outdrive. This is a little screw on sleeve which is what the lift push's down to disengauge the lock. If it is damaged or missing the lift motor will just click, i've had the sme problem and the sleeve was broke off at the top.it can also be adjusted if it needed.

Hi,
I am new here, but I have already found a ton of helpful tips and tricks. My boat has an AQ 120b, and I just had the “tilt outdrive down but will not come back up problem” over the weekend. I ended up manually unlatching the reverse lock-out clamp (as suggested here) and lifting the out-drive manually, so I could load the boat on the trailer. Today I checked the motor – it runs both ways; the relays – I switched them and both work; limit switch – works but seemed too far up on top of the drive to be triggered in time to stop downward motion. The piston retracts all the way. In that position the motor is unable to push the piston back out (down) to lift the drive. I adjusted the limit switch, so the piston would not retract all the way but enough to engage the lock out. Now I am able to move the out-drive up and down again. However, I noticed another problem. The top piece of the release rod for the reverse clamp ends up next to the piston instead of under it when I put the out-drive up. Is it suppose to do that? On the way down I hear this snapping noise when I let the drive down, and I don’t think it is suppose to be that way. Anyone have any ideas on how that happened or how to fix it? Is it possible that the release rot sticks out just a litle too far, so it sort of binds with the rim of the piston? I have adjusted the rod all the way with the little adjustment screw, but that didn't help. Thanks in advance, Ralph

Back