Logo

aq125 timing belt skipped?

1984 18.5 foot cimarron bowrider with AQ125/Penta 270

This morning I put a new condenser on the Dizzy. Now I cannot get the boat to run. I have to advance the dizzy 30+ degrees before the engine will run. I have tried to restab the dizzy a hundred times thinking I missed the sweet spot. Nothing I do will fix it. Set the #1 cylinder to TDC, point rotor on dizzy to the #1 tower on the dizzy cap. No running at all. I spin the whole dizzy and then it will run. Timing light shows 30+ degrees advance. It runs, but runs rough. Can the timing belt jumping cause this?

It's possible. Or also broken advance weight springs, or seized weights. Or if you removed the distributor, its gear may have gone in one tooth ahead.

Well I forgot to mention I removed the dizzy again, and tore it down and the advance system works perfect. Lubed everything and reinstalled and still no love. Just seems odd to me. If the belt jumped would it run at all? Yeah I keep thinking I'm still not hitting the right tooth when the gears mesh but, I was at it for several hours and just seems like it has to be installed right. TDC #1 and the rotor is pointing at #1. Shrugs I guess I need to somehow figure out if the belt has slipped.

Well, then you can just check that the timing belt is correctly installed. It won't take you too long to do that.

Last edited:
Well, then you can just check that the timing belt is correctly installed. It won't take you too long to do that.

Yeah I read over that section in the Seloc manual. Cam and Crank were in time. But the belt mark was off. It actually slipped a couple of teeth on the dizzy gear. Ordered belt and tensioner last night. Thanks for your help. The replies probably kept me from setting fire to the thing! haha

Don't despair, most of us have been in your situation before. :)

Now there is one thing you must pay special attention to. If you find any corrosion in the timing gears, replace them as well or they will chew your new timing belt in no time. You can install an automotive set of timing gears with no problem. Even if you get it used from an autowrecker, the gears won't be pitted if they haven't been exposed to salt water.

Up and running again! Wasn't by any means a tough job. Yes the pertronix is next. Going to the lake this weekend. So it can wait till next weekend haha. Thank you everyone for your help thus far. Have learned a great deal already.

Back