Logo

AQ 280 Tilt

mrnkc130

Put my 1978 Sea Ray in the water for the first time in 5+years and after an extensive rebuild, had a small leak from a raw water hose that i was able to quickly replace and everything went great, shifted, didnt overheat etc...but I did have one problem.

I had taken apart the tilt mechanism when i was rebuilding everything, cleaned out and regreased everything but it wasnt functioning properly. It runs and goes down until it contacts the outdrive but wont lift at all...if you pick up the outdrive it will go out farther and then hold it up, put the slightest pressure on the outdrive and it just goes back down a bit, as if its grossly underpowered. Any ideas? Did i maybe not put it back together correctly? The way my boat ramp is I will have to put the motor up at least some when launching and retrieving and ratchet strapping it up and then taking it off right before it i put it in is less than ideal haha.

SBC 350
aq280

There is a slip clutch ( torque limiting) feature in the mechanism....Did you reassemble it correctly??? See OEM Shop manual for more info. PM me if you need a copy of the manual.

I have a copy of the shop manual already (courtesy of you haha) and I believe I assembled it correctly, wanted to check if this was a common issue before tearing it out and apart again to check my assembly vs the exploded diagram in the manual.
I never took the electric motor itself apart either, i was thinking maybe that needed a good cleaning possibly that could be affecting motor performance.
I just find it strange it seems to work fine just with no power to move the outdrive, I'll get to taking it apart though, slip clutch not functioning or installed correctly could very well be the problem. Thanks!

IF the housing is not screwed back together until the shoulder above the threads bottoms out, there won't be enough compression on the slip clutch.... can you hear the motor run when going up???.... i.e. is the motor stalled or spinning free/slipping and not lifting???
When correct, the motor will audibly labor abruptly when drive all the way up. Going down: high pitched whine ... going up: lower pitched whine..... all the way up: sort of grunts and chatters.

If you manually lift drive all the way up and block it there, Does the lift go up and down freely???

BTW.... its a drive lift mechanism, not a tilt.

Last edited:
The motor makes pretty much the same sound all the time. Yes if the drive is up then the lift moves freely up and down and will even hold the drive up but the slightest pressure or bump and it moves down a bit.

I seem to remember the housing not threading all the way together and some threads were exposed still, it was months ago that i had it apart though. Sounds like its probably something with the slip clutch.

Might be a few weeks before i take that lift back out though, big plans for the boat this weekend haha

Thanks!

Back