Logo

AQ 131 A To sleeve one cyclinder??

windvane

Hi,
I have an AQ131A that had a seized number 4 piston (water sat in the cyclinder), I disassembled the engine and was able to get the piston free from the bore. I took the block in to my local machine shop and on the initial inspection was told that #4 would probably have to be bored, and if they bore one, they usually bore all cyclinders to match. The engine doesnt seem to have a lot of hours on it, and it seems like it would be a waste to bore all 4 cyclinders and replace all the pistons. What would you recomeend having done? I am leaning towards sleeveing #4 and rebore to standard size.

Thanks for your input.

Robert

Robert... source 4 new Volvo Penta Marine pistons and ring sets before you make this decision.

I take it that the pistons are hard/expensive to find?!
Is there a difference between the automotive and marine pistons? I was under the impression that they were the same.
i will definitely have the head worked over!

Thanks for the advice so far!!

I take it that the pistons are hard/expensive to find?!
Is there a difference between the automotive and marine pistons? I was under the impression that they were the same.
i will definitely have the head worked over!

Thanks for the advice so far!!

I for one, would love to know if you're able to find any pistons. Please post results of your search, if you can. Thanks.

Your better off looking for a rebuildable shortblock in a wrecking yard and have it rebuilt. Even if you can find pistons and rings the cost with give you a stroke! I'm not sure if the AQ131 is a B21 B23 or B230 block but you can cross reference boat/auto engines to find out. There is nothing marine significant in the short block. Just use your original OHC head with the marine cam if the #4 port is in good shape as Ricardo mentions above. I know the machine shop I use will have a look at it and tell me if they can reuse the original pistons and rods before tearing it apart.

I for one, would love to know if you're able to find any pistons. Please post results of your search, if you can. Thanks.

The machine shop was able to locate a set of pistons, almost $600 for the set.
I am in Alaska so finding a block is very difficult. I asked the shop to sleeve the bad cylinder and hone the other 3.

Thanks for all of the information.

Robert

Back