Logo

Anyone install a Bay mfg. extension kit?

Bennylt

I am looking for information as to how the shaft extension attaches to the bottom of the powerhead. Bay Mfg. model 406 specifically. it is the 4" extension used on mid power mercury's mine is a 35HP.

I am actually trying to remove one and it won't budge.

My thoughts were that it is just inserted into the powerhead drive shaft receiver, and should be able to be pulled back out. But I can't move it at all by hand. So before I come up with a mechanical way to really yank on this thing I want to be sure there is nothing else in play that i might damage.

I emailed Bay Mfg. too but haven't heard back.

extension is in the powerhead on the left.

3kKIWTF.jpg

It should pull right out easily.---------But if it was assembled with no grease / o-ring it could be rusted tight.

there is a plastic sleeve type thing around the shaft just inside the cover. that looks like it will prevent oil from getting in. is that something i can pull straight out? or will i need to take that cover off? i unbolted it already but the cover plate (3-bolts triangular shape) seems like it's stuck on with RTV. wont pop off easily so I'd prefer to leave it if I can.

That "cover" is to keep the lower main seal/bearing in place.

The stub shaft should come out without removing that cover - it is simply "splined" onto the lower end of the crank - as noted above, it's probably welded itself there over the years - may not have been lubed (ever) or had anti-seize applied. The original owner/converter probably never envisioned ever having to remove the stub shaft...

I AM ALL THAT IS MAN!!!!!!!

Got it out. I hung the powerhead about an inch off the floor. With some mats under it for padding, then i tapped the stub shaft with a hammer. Gravity did the rest!

The shaft wasn't rusty at all. The brown color you see is my PB Blaster mixed with the old gunky grease or silicone that was in there but whatever they put in there, seems to have gotten dry and crusty. right now I have the engine sitting upside down with the drive shaft receiver full of PD Blaster to try to dissolve what's left before I put it onto my driveshaft. I need to go find a tiny little wire brush/pipe cleaner to get in there and clean between the splines.

6Tgra17.jpg

Last edited:
Back