Logo

Anybody know the bolt size for the trim sender harness bracket in the hull?

vincentmb615

Hey all replacing my trim senders, it's a mercruiser 4.3 chaparral 1930 It only had one bolt in the bracket and I can't get the bottom one started , I didn't pull the drive I opted for the harder option had anyone replaced the 7/16th bolt with a hex head? And if so what size was it? Thread and pitch if anyone knows

Last edited:
Guessing a little bit assuming you mean whee wire goes into gimbal housing by bellows? 7/16 head is a 1/4” thread 1/4-20 x 5/8 also guess on the year given typo. Assume its this bolt

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER10-28635

number 12 in this drawing

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...u-0f679999-usa/gimbal-ring-and-steering-lever

Type your serial number in parts search in upper left boat engine parts have good drawings on this site

Thank you it's a 94 1930sst 1930 is the model 😂 sorry for the confusion, do you think a bolt a little longer will thread all the way down? I can't get it to start the threads are boogered up but it seems like it's an awfully short bolt

Boat model does not matter, Mercruiser Alpha one Gen 2 assemblies are the same no matter the boat.

If you order the bolt recommended as the OEM part it will work as designed.

If the threads are bad/stripped then it may be possible to use a longer bolt. But I would not go more that 1/4 inch longer. That is a blind hole (Not threaded through transom)
If you can chase the threads with a 1/4-20 tap that would be the correct fix for buggered threads.

If the threads are bad/stripped then it may be possible to use a longer bolt. But I would not go more that 1/4 inch longer. That is a blind hole (Not threaded through transom)
If you can chase the threads with a 1/4-20 tap that would be the correct fix for buggered threads.

yes but god, trying to get a thread chase up there even with pulling the helmet will be virtually impossible, let alone with everything still connected.

the bolt is a standard 1/4x20 but make sure to use a stainelss bolt if not getting the OEM.
what do you mean by buggered up? are the missing on the 1st few threads or can you not start the threads?

yes but god, trying to get a thread chase up there even with pulling the helmet will be virtually impossible, let alone with everything still connected.

the bolt is a standard 1/4x20 but make sure to use a stainelss bolt if not getting the OEM.
what do you mean by buggered up? are the missing on the 1st few threads or can you not start the threads?

Can be done, A lot easier than gen 1 trying to get upper bolt of the two in.....................but as I have done it, it can be done

Back