Logo

Antisieze reccommendations

mrmahi

For you marine mechanics out there, what antisieze is the best in your opinion...especially for below the waterline applications (sterndrives for example)? I have some Jet-Lube Marine Kopr as well as the normal automotive stuff (which I do not use). Have heard conflicting info regarding electrolysis.
Thanks in advance.

I use Sierra Blue wheel bearing grease and have for years and years. No bolt gets put back in place without it except ones that require a thread locker.

There are a few good Marine type anti-seize compounds that are suitable for below the water line.
Just make certain that NO automotive compounds are used due to conductive materials that are present in these.
These are excellent on engine fasteners, but will quickly change their name to "Always Seize" when used below the water line.

For strickly salt water use, the QuickSilver "Perfect Seal" will accomplish the same task on most all threaded surfaces.
Some even use Permatex #3. We're just trying to keep the corrosive water out.

Water Proof grease is OK, but there is a time/place for it, as it can become washed out!
IMO, it is best for fresh water use only!

Your call!

Last edited:
Thanks gents! I use Permatex aviation for the mating surfaces (for years on VW and porsche cases)...never thought to use for the threads. Just an FYI, the best stuff I have used for mating surfaces is what Porsche recommends, it is called Curil-T....kind of a green stuff that stays pliable and goes on thin. Great stuff but expensive. I used it the first time I put my outdrive together...worked really well.
I am a bit concerned about the Marine Kopr. Has anyone used this stuff?

Back