Logo

Another "Won't get on plane" story

Old Machinist

Well, to start. This is my first post. I will try to keep the stupid questions to a minimum. I'm working on a 1987 88HP Evinrude (E88MSLCUS). I bought the boat with gearcase in a box with impeller off. Put new impeller in it and reinstalled gearcase. just to find it won't fire. replaced starter to fix that problem. Went to lake to try out. Won't run past about half throttle, power flattens out, can't get it on plane. I have 130 lbs compression ( give or take 5 lbs ) on all cylinders. I have a good blue spark, jump over 1/2" on all cylinders. I have soaked carbs in Berryman's carb cleaner, cleaned and squirted choke cleaner thru every passage on carbs. When I went to pull flywheel off I noticed a little slack side to side in top bearing. Went and felt for slack on running 115HP Evinrude I have and, feel none at all. I don't know how much play is expectable in the bearing. From looking at bearing in pictures online. I guess little to none. I think I need to replace. With the price of a new one at $350 dollars I would like someone else's opinion on that.
That being said I'm not sure how that would cause the symptoms I am having. Here is list of my symptoms.

hard to start
from back of motor, looking forward, Left bank plugs look good, Right bank plugs RICH
in water at lake it will run up to about half throttle then flattens and won't accelerate any further
have good compression, good spark , clean carbs.
fresh fuel in tank

Any enlightenment greatly appreciated. I have about run out of ideas
Thanks in advance
Old Machinist

Well ----If upper bearing was damaged so would the bearing surface on the crankshaft be damaged.----A new bearing may not be the ideal fix.-----Inspect fuel pump diaphragm on the 88 HP model.-----You are pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking it over ?-----What colour is the stripe on the ORANGE wires from powerpack to coils.----Are they blue going to the top 2 coils ?

racerone, you the man. Thank you very much. You nailed it on first try
Blue stripped wire on coil on right bank in wrong position. ( the side that was very rich. I see why now) Switched wire positions. Cranks and seems to run and idle much better. Haven't gone to lake to try but I think that was it.
Back to slack in top bearing. with an indicator on crankshaft. I can rock it about .004 to .005. I don't hear any bearing noise coming from it. I guess just let it run. What is your opinion?

Back