Logo

Another recommendation for Cliffbs High Performance carb rebuild

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"I rebuilt both of my Q-jets l

"I rebuilt both of my Q-jets last month and asked Cliff about the possibility of bench testing. I've done SO much work, I'm going to need a team of people the 1st time I get the boat started

With that in mind, I didn't really want to throw all the variables of rebuilt carbs into the mix too.

I was pretty confident on the rebuild(s) but couldn't get one of them to hold vac on the seat/needle test. Hmmm, pulled off the airhorn and everything looked ok.

So, off to Cliff's shop they went.

I'm so glad I did. Apparently I cross threaded the fuel filter fitting which is why it failed the vac test. After rebuilding TWO carbs I can't believe this is the part I didn't get right!

He also re-indexed the base plates for me. After running them he noticed that the air horn gaskets were getting "wet" in each corner. He machined them down and installed a thicker gasket. After that, he said they ran flawlessly.

For reference, I got two of his rebuild kits and also re-bushed the throttle plates. My boat only had 600 hours on the original carbs and had plenty of play. It's EASY to do and you don't need a drill press. Cliff's bit is indexed so it would be hard to screw up. It's the fuel filter fittings that'll get ya

He is a wealth of knowledge and obviously doesn't let anything out the door until it's 100%.

Bob"

"Good to hear Bob, He has had

"Good to hear Bob, He has had my Q-Jet since October but I told him, "no rush" cause the boat doesn't get its bottom wet until end of May
snow.gif
"

"Bob, Great information,and ju

"Bob, Great information,and just where is this saint?

Need one of these saints to look at a pair of holley cards on my 502s, in the Annapolis, MD. area. Any ideas????

Thanks Henry"

"Bob:

Glad to hear all work

"Bob:

Glad to hear all worked out fine. You may have inherited that cross-threaded fitting.....I've found a few deals on other 'toys' because of little things like that. Bet you improve the fuel economy enough to recoup the 'carb investment' in short order.

Also, glad you have continued the 'tradition' I've noticed on this forum - to share the knowledge of what works and what doesn't.

Henry:

"Saint Cliff" is out in Ohio. You can reach him at 740.397.2921. He specializes in Rochesters (and transmissions) so may not be the one to resolve your issues. Give him a call as I'm sure he will help if able; either by taking on the work or referring your to a truely qualified individual."

"Mark.... I like you're th

"Mark.... I like you're theory, yeah... it was the last guy, that's it

Yes, I was thinking the same. I spent about $240 for the two rebuild kits/bushings and about $130 for the testing that Cliff did.

At $3+ a gallon, I should make that up pretty quickly not to mention how much better they'll run.

I'll report back once I get them reinstalled and running in a couple of months.

Bob"

Henry:

did you contact him?

Henry:

did you contact him?

What makes you pick up those rosary beads when you think your Holleys? They are pretty simple and 'easier' to adjust than the RPD products.

"Is there a name I am to say I

"Is there a name I am to say I know, or a special handshake? Really, let me know if I am contacting him with wrong protocal.

I got Cliffs book and read it. I was going to rebuild myself but thought I botched in any small way I would be stuck.

Since they run okay but one dumps some unburn, I'm on the "cliff rebuild queue" and its August! Thats not going to work in middle summar so I moved to be next winter.

If he can pick up my work this winter from one of his kits and make it righteous, thats another story.

Any help...

Scott"

"Scott,

Someone else emaile

"Scott,

Someone else emailed me too, sounds like he's pretty backed up on the rebuilds. I got lucky with mine because I already did that part and he tested mine with a bunch of others.

Probably easier for him to squeeze in a bench test than a full rebuild and test.

Sounds like it's best to send these in during the fall if you have a boat that gets hauled.

Bob"

"Makomark,
Yes, I did contact

"Makomark,
Yes, I did contact Cliff; very busy and no contacts in Annapolis area. Will keep looking for that Saint!"

Back