Logo

And Sparks Flew

Teejay63

Good afternoon

Stbd Eng will not idle - Unfortunatley for me I forgot to remove the Neg Bat cable - and then sparks flew- no crank - no spark

There is no wire from the Ign Sw going to the Sol - There is a larger red wire coming from the Wiring Harness going to the Red 40 push button circuit breaker and then a wire going to the S side of the Sol.

Took a wire from the Bat to the Ign Sw and from the Ign Sw to the Sol. Turned key Eng cranked and then melted the Neg Bat Post Now no. Crank

Starting Circuit - Rebuilt Starter - New Sol - wires cables - Charged Bat - took wire from Bat to Sol = a few groans - nothing

Took this Starter and put it into the Port Engine - It cranked ok - Took all of components from the Port Eng and installed them into the
Stbd Eng - same as before no crank - SMOKE came from the Starter side of the Sol

This is where I am at any insight would be appreciated

Are you sure your battery cables aren't reversed. It is easy enough to do. follow the negative battery cable to the engine block or where ever it is grounded. Make sure it has a good clean connection. Follow the positive to the starter solenoid and make sure it has good connection there. Double check and triple check to make sure the cable coming from the starter solenoid is going to the positive battery post and the negative is going to the block and negative post. With that kind of power issues I would first look at your main connections for accuracy and bare wires touching the wrong places. You should be able to jump start the motor by providing power to the positive side of the starter solenoid. There really isn't much too starting an engine. Through the normal systems you may have all kinds of switches to go through to start the engine like the neutral safety switch in the control, etc.

Took this Starter and put it into the Port Engine - It cranked ok - Took all of components from the Port Eng and installed them into the
Stbd Eng - same as before no crank - SMOKE came from the Starter side of the Sol

Do I understand correctly that you swapped starters between your engines? Don't your engines turn in opposite directions? There are others on here much more knowledgeable than I am, but I caution you not to crank the engines with the starters swapped until you get more advice. In the meantime, it will help if you provide the model and year of your engines.

Dan

Agree..... we need more info.

Are these shaft drives?
Are these I/O's?

Do you have two standard LH rotation engines with reverse capable transmissions?
Or......... do you have a Starboard side Reverse RH rotation engine, and a Port side Standard LH rotation engine?

Are you able to turn the Starboard engine over by hand?
Any concern for hydro-locking at the Starboard engine?
Have you pulled the Starboard engine spark plugs out as to check for water in the cylinders?

Ditto on switching the starters. You just can't do that with these older engines.

Bypassing all the engine starting wiring, jumping from battery to starter motor and still getting a high current draw from a good battery from what appears to be a locked engine? I have to agree that it sounds like the engine is hydrolocked.

Take all the plugs out and jump the battery to the starter motor again. See what squirts out of the spark plug holes as the engine turns over. My guess is that you'll see a gunky mixture of gas and water.

If so, time to pull off the exhaust manifolds on both side (and both engines) and start over with new manifolds and risers installed by the book.

Thankyou for your replies

Starters returned to original engines - wiring and cables good - problem still exits

I informed you that I have a good Bat - this may not be the case - Took a voltage reading of 12.6v - Bat will take a charge but it will drain overnight

Will be taking the Bat to the local garage for a Crank and Load test

Talk to you later

Back